Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Smart Collection rule for Headline?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 12:46:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Smart Collection rule for Headline?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Smart Collection rule for Headline?  (Read 3169 times)
DMJMich

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »

Is it possible to create a Smart Collection rule that would equate to "Headline Is Empty" or, in Beardy-speak, "Headline doesn't contain a e i o u"?

I've tried building a Smart Collection that matches two conditions: [Collection | Contains All | Current Work] and [Searchable IPTC | doesn't contain | a e i o u]. With these two conditions, the Smart Collection contains zero items.

Here's my data: The images in Current Work all have no entries in any IPTC field except Headline. Ninety-nine images of the 100 in Current work have an entry "LPD Badges". Headline is empty in one image.

Apparently "Searchable IPTC" does not contain Headline. There's a rule worth changing.

Am I stuck?

Doug Johnson
samdring

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:28:09 AM »

Doug
I have had some unusual results with SCs in the past so thought I would try for your situation.
I do not use Headline at all so put in 'Hdline' in headline for one image.
Using searchable iptc contains hdline returns that one image; doesn't contain hdline returns all images less the one.
All OK so far
From hereonin, I can't help further 'cos searchable iptc also picks up, for example, Credit and Origin data such as Location etc.
Are you sure you have no entries in any other iptc field?

Sam
DMJMich

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »

Sam,
Good idea! Your test indicates that Searchable IPTC does find text in the Headline field so it is indeed searchable. That is progress. I confirmed your test successfully. I also tried the inverse of my rule: Searchable IPTC contains a e i o u. That search produces 100% of the images, apparent success.

That leads to two issues. First, for my purposes, the rule returns false positives. When using the rule: Searchable IPTC contains a e i o u, it returned 100% of the images even when I had deleted my text from Headline on one image. That suggests it is looking at fields in areas outside the one labeled IPTC, just as you were thinking. If IPTC includes fields in other sections of the LR metadata panel such as Location or Copyright, we're out of luck because I utilize several of those fields.

The second issue is the remaining puzzle: how to get the null set, the reverse. We don't have "Is empty" as a test. And, the "a e i o u" string that works to find the null set for other fields such as Location seems not to be working here.

Thanks for giving thought to this issue, Sam.

I've submitted a LR Feature Request to Adobe. Hope other users reinforce the utility of more robust rule capabilities. I did a crude search of other FRs but could not find another one on this subject. My search, however, was not thorough.

Doug
samdring

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »

Doug

Agree entirely - SCs and the metadata filters are great in concept; the former for dynamic and repeating searches; the latter for browsing differing fields and values but both should offer for selection EVERY field which is being searched.  Yes, give us the common fields as a drop down list in both facilities but add a MORE option to allow drill down to any searchable field.

Sam
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: