Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Find result not linking to source files
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 08:54:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Find result not linking to source files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Find result not linking to source files  (Read 8295 times)
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:12:45 PM »

And yet another problem with EM:

My source files are on an external hard drive.  When I so a keyword search and have the results show up in a new catalog they don't link to the source files.  (Yes, this is with the hard drive turned on and connected.)  The same is true when I copy and paste files into a new catalog.  In each case the original catalog has live files but the new one doesn't.

Any idea what's up?

Thanks!

EM 1.0.3 + Mac OS 10.5.4
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »

Leon,
What shows up in the Catalog Folders area?
Can you reset paths?
Are there any very long folder/file names, or folders or files with non-standard characters in the names?
Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:21:27 PM »

In the example I'm looking at now, the new catalog contains 37 images (none with long names or non-standard characters).  The Catalog Folder area shows the external hard drive.  The 37 images are spread between 9 folders in 2 folders on the hard drive.  Out of all those only two subfolders show numbers to the right side (that link to a total of 5 images that are live).  The other subfolders don't show any number to the right (even though there are images in the catalog from them).

Resetting paths didn't help.

Another odd thing.  After creating the new catalog with the 37 images (of which only 5 were live), if I copy & paste all 37 images to another new catalog all 37 images became live.  This seems to work some times and not others.

Any ideas?

Thanks Peter.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »

Leon,
Sorry for the dealy - had to go to Photokina at the last minute.
As to the path thing. do you have "union of folder hierarchies" checked in the folder flyout menu?

Don't know what you mean by "live".
Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »

Yes, "union of folder hierarchies" is checked in the folder flyout menu.  And by "live" I mean the image size is listed in black above the thumbnails and the image can be opened (from the catalog) in Photoshop as opposed to seeing "Original media file not available" in red.
Thanks Peter.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »

Leon,
Once again sorry for the delay - I'm head down in the next book, and have been unable to do anything else.

Can you drag the items to a new catalog and get a good link?

If you make a fresh catalog, and try the operation from that, do the files get passed correctly?

I'll ping Phil and see if he knows about this.  HAve you downloaded a demo of EM2 and tried it?
Anything else strange abt this catalog?
Peter

Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »

Thanks Peter, appreciate that you took time out to answer my question.

I noticed that dragging the items to a new catalog has worked SOMETIMES in the past.  Just tried it and it didn't work.

What do you mean by "making a fresh catalog?"  Do you mean doing another Find search using "show in new catalog?"

Haven't demo'd EM2 - after using iView and EM for a couple years I'm very reluctant to sink any more money into this and am tempted to switch to something like Lightroom if it has enough of the basic DAM features that I need (mainly being able to work in catalogs with source files offline and keyword searches).
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 04:11:40 AM »

Hi Leon,

I've seen this happen and the Microsoft forum has similar posts. Sometimes Expression Media loses its link to the original file. Some common denominators are "invalid" filenames, long pathnames, QuickTime 7.4+, accessing items over a server or NAS, and opening the catalog in a mixed OS environment.

Do any of those sound likely? From what I've seen the path in the catalog gets corrupted. If you have Expression Media 1 make sure you have the SP1 and the Rollup. If all else fails try Expression Media 2 with the SP1 patch on a copy of the catalog. The latter is more robust for path names, much more than iView ever was.

Best of luck.

-- Robert.

Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 09:59:16 AM »

Hi Robert.

Using EM 1.0.3 SP1, Mac OS 10.5.5 and Quicktime 7.5.5  Not sure what a Rollup is.  Not using a mixed OS environment.  Accessing source files via an external hard drive (not sure what "NAS" is.)  An example of the filenames I use is:  D200810230014.NEF.  Not sure what pathnames are.  Does that help?

Not sure if I had this problem before upgrading from Mac OS 10.4 to 10.5, but it's a problem that makes EM almost unusable to me.  For example, if I'm do a keyword search to find images (to submit to an editor) and the search yields 250 images (in a new catalog), and in that new catalog I edit the number down to 70, without the images linking to the source files I have to manually find each image in order to either open it in Photoshop or copy it to another folder.

Do you think I'm just as well switching to Lightroom, as my main criteria are to be able to view, edit and do keyword searches of catalogs that are off-line and to be able to either be able to search across multiple catalogs (as with EM) or have a program that allows catalogs that are much larger than EM's 1.8 GB limit.

Thanks for your help on this Robert!
Leon
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »

Hi Leon,

Get the Expression Media 1 Rollup here. Think of it as another service pack.

NAS = Network Attached Storage which connects to the computer via ethernet cable so it acts like a server. Many external HDD now offer this interface.

Consider downgrading QuickTime to version 7.3.1. On Mac the easiset method to install older versions is with Pacifist. Get older versions of QuickTime here.

iView and Expression Media have had issues with QuickTime versions 7.4 and later. It may have to do with Apple introducing unicode. I'm running several Macs with 10.5.5 and QT7.3.1 with filenames longer than "D200810230014.NEF". Pathnames are full link to the item, e.g. "Macintosh HD/Users/Leon/Pictures/RAW/D200810230014.NEF". Expression Media 1 SP1 Final Rollup and Expression Media 2SP1 are supposed to fix pathname issues, but I like to play it safe.

Today I recommend staying Expression Media. The 1.8GB catalog limit will be addressed in Expression Media 3 which I'd expect within 18 months given previous updates. But then again, Lightroom 3 would also be out then and most likely have more robust DAM capabilities. Ain't competition grand?

-- Robert.

Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »

Thanks Robert.

I'm in the process of working with EM tech support on this.  No luck so far.  The guy at tech support thought the problem may have something to do with the way the paths were set in the OS, as the catalogs were created when I was using Mac OS 10.3.9 and I've since switched to OS 10.5.5  So he had me reset the paths in the original catalog and then create a new catalog via a keyword search.  This didn't help.  Then he had me create a new (empty) catalog and import the original catalog into that.  This was even worse, as only about 1/3 of the images in the new catalog linked to the source files - which means it was a step backwards from my original problem (where only a fraction of images are linked in new catalogs created from keyword searches in fully linked catalogs).

I'll post an update after further work with tech. support.

Cheers.
Leon
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 07:32:37 PM »

Leon,
Can you see anything in the folder path of the images?  Any text in folder names that is other than letters, numbers . _ -

I've seen this on PC and it was related to stuff like long filenames (longer than 31 characters) or stuff like # in filenames.

Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »

Hi Peter,

Not sure where to find folder path info.  I do know that missing images do not show up in the Catalog Folder.  And there's no unusual text in the file or folder names.

Sekar in tech. support's been helping me.  He's submitted a bug report.

Downloaded a trial version of EM2 and the all files from searches have been linking fine.  I'm hesitant to pay for the upgrade though since iView & EM have been so problematic so far.
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 02:48:38 AM »

Hi Leon,

Make sure you have the very latest service packs and rollups from Microsoft for Expression Media.

There were bugs with pathnames in iView 3, Expression Media 1 and Expression Media 2. Bugs relating to corupted paths in the latter two were supposed to have been fixed in their Service Packs.

Paths can be seen in the header bar (underneath the List, Thumbnail and Media tabs).

-- Robert.

Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 11:28:48 AM »

Hi Robert,

I have the latest service packs & rollups.  Tech. Supp. they'd seen this problem once before and haven't come up with a fix.  And since the problem is with EM1 they probably won't come up with a fix.  I haven't had this problem with my trial version of EM2 so I went ahead and upgraded.

Thanks for you help on this.  And thanks to Peter also.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: