OK - I have it working and will post what I've done here as a reference....
I used a different script, called: Annotation-DB-names, by Daniel Robillardhttp://www.iview-multimedia.com/downloads/scripts.php
I found it by surfing and reading and surfing and reading.... Here's the description of his script:
Open and import a text file (type "TEXT") structured as a database or a spreadsheet. The first line is the identifier of the columns and must contain the names of the annotation fields (IPTC). Each other line begin with the file name of an item followed by the respective values of the fields. The separator is Tab.
An empty value preserves the existing annotation.
A value "-" erases existing annotation.
For the fields in list (Keywords, Categories, People) the separator is "," (comma).
The character "¬" (option-L) is replaced by "return" in the Caption field.
I had to pay attention to the fieldnames I used in my text file, as the script is old and, as David Riecks pointed out, used IPTC IIM fields. But I just kept playing with a test text file, and test pdf files, and seeing where the source data ended up. For example, my source file has a field called EVENT DATE, which transfers perfectly to DATE CREATED.
The other thing I had to watch was that Daniel's script uses a hyphen to mean 'delete existing annotation' - and I have lots of hyphens in my data (for phone numbers). So I'll do a quick search and replace to change phone numbers from ###-###-#### to ###.###.#### and that's easy enough.
But this is such a powerful feeling.... to be able to convert 10 years of WinFaxes to pdfs, and create a catalog for finding and sorting the files.....