The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:08:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Bridge/ Camera Raw
| | |-+  Getting Autoblacks in Camera Raw and Lightroom
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Getting Autoblacks in Camera Raw and Lightroom  (Read 14424 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: September 15, 2008, 05:37:46 AM »

I use ImageIngester Pro to apply some Camera raw defaults that include auto blacks and extra vibrance, clarity and sharpening.  Here are instructions on how to make the preset:

http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=3533.0

Peter
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »

I was able to download the file, but cannot find the destination on my Vista computer. I have users, but no file or folder for adobe or camera raw that I can find a settings file to place this file. Is this because of a different file folder in Visat 32 bit?

I have Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3 installed, and have the latest DNG converter installed as it works for my Canon G10. I also run lightoom 2, but think that this is on the Photoshop side of things.

Thanks.

Bill Bogle, Jr.
www.BoglePhoto.com

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:59:51 AM »

Bill,
You may have the visibility of the common files folder turned off. 
Peter
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:07 PM »

Peter,

I must be really thick on this. I don't find a documents and settings file, as I am on Vista. I have found the folders and can track the location down on my XP, but nothing that coincides on Vista. I have done advanced search including hidden files on the Vista and nothing shows up. I have looked through all of the System locations and do not see any options as to folder options or file options like in XP, and how to find this location.

Is there anyone on Vista that is using this? Where am  going wrong?It is one thing I am missing in my workflow that I think would speed up my cataloging and processing. Since I am doing my editing on my Vista Computer and using the XP as a file server, it does not make sense for me to do my editing on the XP if I cannot get this to work.

Thanks.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »

Bill,
 You can find it my going into Camera Raw, and hitting Save Settings... and seeing where the files are placed.

I see Users/USername/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/Settings.

Peter
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »

Peter:

Thanks. I spent some time looking up Vista changes from XP and sort of stumbled on the correct path, however was looking at local not roaming. Why MS has to make it so difficult to follow is beyond me. It is a bit like learning a new language, and the benefit is ? ? ?

Anyway, I must say that IIP is a great tool, and has sped up my workflow, and given me a much better sense of organization to my new data ingestions. I can put things away in their proper place in three to four fairly streamlined steps. IIP to ingest with naming, some keywords, settings, copyright and much information (as well as more descriptive sub folder structure) ready for buckets, Bridge to verify, examine, rank and label, then to EM2 for cataloging and keywording, with a trip for the good ones to either Lightroom or if needed Photoshop CS3. Onve you start to do it, it becomes easier and repeatable.

Bill Bogle Jr.
www.BoglePhoto.com

bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »

Hi Peter,
Long time, no post for me.  About Autoblacks.  I'm not using II, but just using the presets I made in Camera Raw.
In order to get the Auto Blacks that way, I edited the XMP file for that preset to read: <crs:Shadows>Auto</crs:Shadows>
Is this the correct setting for auto black doing it this way?  At one point I thought I had to put 'True' in there as well, but don't see
that any longer.  Either way, I just want to get Auto Blacks in the presets without using II. 
Thanks,
Brian
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »

Brian,
Here's the tag.
<crs:AutoShadows>True</crs:AutoShadows>

Peter
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12:33 AM »

Many thanks for the tag.
Brian
Fredrik_Norrsell

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:11:48 PM »

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert Peters Autoblack preset into a develop preset that could be applied from inside lightroom?

Fredrik
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »

Frederik,
Yes, we can! (to coin a phrase).
Here's the text of my autoblack preset .lrtmplate file:

s = {
   id = "57FF426A-B6AA-43D7-9629-B00909CCB38E",
   internalName = "Auto Black",
   title = "Auto Black",
   type = "Develop",
   value = {
      settings = {

AutoShadows = true,

},
      uuid = "19619AE6-AF06-49C5-AD0D-F848729AFFF6",
   },
   version = 0,
}

Peter
Fredrik_Norrsell

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »

Thanks Peter,
I will try it in a few days, when I have some time to play with it.
At the moment I'm to busy actually having fun behind the camera. Smiley
David Nobel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »

Peter,

This great little hack is working fine for me with ACR 5.5 in CS4, but the LR script seems to be broken as of LR 2.5 in Mac OS 10.5.8. Applying this setting returns the "Blacks" slider to whatever the camera profile has specified for the black level default. Any ideas what might be going on?

David Nobel
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 08:16:29 AM »

DAvid,
Can you find and open the preset you're using in a text editor and see if it says that autoshadows are set to true, and if there is an alternate setting in there from blacks?
Peter
David Nobel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »

Peter,

Sorry for the long delay in replying; I have been away.

I am applying no other presets than the ACR standard profile for the camera (both a Canon 40D and a Lumix LX3). These profiles do not seem editable in a standard text editor.

David Nobel
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: