Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Catalog Sets vs Keywords
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 06:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Catalog Sets vs Keywords
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Catalog Sets vs Keywords  (Read 12369 times)
talazem

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »

I've been reading through this and many similar posts.

Is it safe to say that Catalog Sets are the equivalent of Finder's folders, but that "exist" only in programs like Express Media? And that keywords are meant as tags onto the file, and thus can "exist" outside of EM2 or similar programs, i.e. in the metadata of the finder?

I think I'm getting the idea that, at least in EM2 and similar programs, the idea propounded throughout these forums is:
1. Finder folders, by collection by date (for backup/archival purposes)
2. Catalog filelds, for collection by themes
3. Keywords, for identifying elements within the digital file, especially when it cannot semantically be identified otherwise (such as images)

If so: where does that leave metadata that the camera/file doesn't already have automatically filled in? For example, the metadata field "People"?

And secondly, if one's Finder folders are static -- for example, scanned images of a book/manuscript, which will not be added to or detracted from -- then should one still use the date-system for Finder folders? and if one does not (and this is the thing I'd appreciate help in understanding), does it still make sense to use the Catalog sets at all? i.e. if my Catalog Folders (i.e. that which is "imported" from the finder) have names which are semantically meaningful and their content hereafter static (ex. "Plato, the Republic", which contains the entire work scanned, edition issues aside), what would be the benefit of Catalog sets?

Thanks in advance. I've spent most of the past day reading up in these forums, and as such I hope my question isn't too 101 and redundant.

-Talal
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »

Talal,
The biggest difference between Folders and Catalog Sets is that images will only be in one folder, while they can be in as many Catalog Sets as you want.  This lets you organize the images in an orthogonal manner - by subject matter for instance, and also by usage.

As to People, the biggest problem there is that it does not support nesting - it's a flat list.
Peter
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: