Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lightroom Restoration
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 06:10:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Lightroom Restoration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom Restoration  (Read 6013 times)
JeremyH

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

A DAM question if there ever was one!

I had a problem with my computer [MacBook Pro] and it has now had its hard drive replaced which just makes me ever more aware of the importance of backups!

I've used a 5 month old bootable backup 'clone'  [from July '08] to get the MBP working but I was still using Lightroom 1.4 at that time and had since upgraded to LR2.

The contents of the 5 month old Lightroom [1.4] folder are:

Backups
    Download Backups
    Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata
    Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Separately I have a 'user name' backup of all my work including my LR2 catalogue which was recently backed up. The Lightroom folder contents are:

Backups
    Download Backups
    Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat
    Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

I didn't backup the previews as they amount to around 15gb and I figured they could build themselves again if needed

The big question is what is the most logical approach to reinstating Lightroom 2? I'm assuming I simply drag the backup into the users folder and replace it, then install Lightroom 2 and hope it gives me the option to use the Lightroom 2 cataloque [?] - or is there a better method?

MacBook Pro; Mac OS 10.4.11

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions

Thanks

Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:45:30 PM by JeremyH » Logged
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »

The big question is what is the most logical approach to reinstating Lightroom 2? I'm assuming I simply drag the backup into the users folder and replace it, then install Lightroom 2 and hope it gives me the option to use the Lightroom 2 cataloque [?] - or is there a better method?

That would probably work but to be safe, I would install Lightroom 2 first and then drag your backup catalog over.  Your catalog is named with the default name (Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat).  The install might (shouldn't, but you never know till you try) overwrite your catalog with a new default catalog.  By putting yours in after the install, you overwrite the default with the one you want.  Or just rename your catalog file to something more meaningful and then you don't have to worry about a conflict with Lightroom's default catalog name at all.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:08:34 AM »

I think Bob has it right.

Install LR2
Drag catalog to new drive
Open the newest version of your catalog you can find.
Rebuild previews
Right-click on top-level folders and choose "Synchronize folders"
Check for missing files only at this point.

How you sync metadata depends on what you know about which is freshest.  Were the image files on the drive that died, or on another drive?

Good luck.
Peter
JeremyH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 01:27:33 AM »

Thanks very much Bob and Peter,

Fortunately all the images are on external drives, the LR2 catalogue was on the main computer and the backup was up to date ie the day before the main drive failed.

I will bring over my user accounts backup into the new main drive [all except the Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat],  upgrade to LR2 again and then replace the newly created LR2 catalogue with the backup version. Hopefully that will all work!!

Thanks again

Jeremy

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:37:15 AM by JeremyH » Logged
JeremyH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:09:34 AM »

Hi all,

Thanks for your all your help and suggestions. I went through the process of restoring my main drive which was fraught with difficulties mainly to do with permissions conflicts etc once the user backup was brought in. In the end I resorted to the services of a local Mac Expert [in South East London] who got me up and running after a few hours. He assured me that LR2 would 'find' the previously created Lightroom 2 Catalog.lrcat when I 'upgraded' Lightroom from LR1.4, which it did. The moral seems to be to keep a bootable backup if these things strike again so you only lose a few hours of productivity and can start again from where you left off before any system failure. My new routine will be to create a clone disc in Mac Disc Utilies and maintain it with Chronosync. I'm still using Mac 10.4.11 [Tiger] so no Time Machine.

Thanks,
Jeremy
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:50:56 AM »

The latest version of Chronosync will supposedly create and maintain a bootable copy (upgrades are free).  I haven't tested that aspect yet but so far am really liking other aspects of the new version.

Bob Smith
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: