Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hello and newbie DAM workflow question
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 06:16:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Hello and newbie DAM workflow question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hello and newbie DAM workflow question  (Read 2903 times)
ryan

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:36:02 AM »

Hi everyone. I've been reading the book and this forum for a few days - everything is quite overwhelming, but it's slowly sinking in.

I just recently started shooting RAW, so I'm looking to incorporate some DAM into my workflow/archiving strategies. I am not a professional photographer, nor do I work for clients - all my shots are just for me and to share with family and friends.  I also have little-to-no Photoshop/photo editing skills, so I'm basically just looking to incorporate DAM for minor, easy adjustments and a controlled, sensible archiving method.

That said, I've been thinking about a suitable workflow based on software that I've tested/played with and liked, so I'd appreciate any thoughts on this new DAM workflow.

1. Manually Copy images from MemCard to My Pictures/Working Files/RAW/0041-0130 (example batch number).
1a. I use CHDK on my Powershot A620 to shoot Raw+Jpeg. These are manually copied to My Pictures/Working Files/DNG4PS (DNG for PowerShot) so I can convert them to DNG (the CRW from CHDK are true RAW and can't be read. I have to convert these to DNG in order for bridge/lightroom/etc to be able to read them).

2. Import files to /Working Files/Rate-and-Adjust/ with a filename change (ryan_080817_0001) and basic copyright metadata appended (IIP/Lightrom both do this).
(original RAWs remain in /RAW/0041-0130 until the DNGs are burned/archived. An additional backup of the original RAWs is made in /Temp_RAW on another hard drive.
2a. The CHDK files are converted to DNG with DNG4PS-2. (*DNG4PS will copy the EXIF data from the RAW file's corresponding JPG file to the new DNG file. The RAW files themselves do not contain any EXIF-header info until this is done.) Once converted, they are moved to /Working Files/Rename-Meta/
2b. DNGs in /Working Files/Rename-Meta/ will be imported into /Working Files/Rate-and-Adjust as in Step 2 above.

3. In /Rate-and-Adjust/ files are rated and adjusted (I'm not a professional, this will mostly be rating and some auto adjusting). Once finished, they are moved to /Working Files/Ready-for-DNG/
3a. Once the CHDK DNGs have been rated and adjusted, they are moved to /Working Files/Converted.

4. Once in Ready-for-DNG/ the files are converted to DNG and placed in /Working Files/Converted.

5. Once a folder of files is moved to /Converted, the bucket system begins. Folder/DVD hierarchy is established, folder names are changed (changed from 0041-0130 to a subject, like "Ryan's Birthday", etc). Once the bucket under /Converted is full, it is burned to a DVD as a backup, and the bucket is moved to My Pictures/Archive/.

Does this sound like a reasonable workflow? Any holes/flaws I should be worried about?

First question - Are there significant differences between DNG converters (say Lightroom > Convert to DNG/Bridge > Convert to DNG/Adobe DNG Converter.exe?  What settings should I use? (Sorry, haven't searched for this yet, but I will).

Second question - I plan on using iView MediaPro to catalog. When can I add the files to the catalog and add keywords? Do I have to wait until I move them to /Archive? If I add them to an iView catalog when they are in /Converted and then later move them to /Archive... won't that mess up the catalog?

I guess I'm wondering where the appropriate Catalog/Keyword step would go, given that I'm going to be moving the DNGs to /Archive.

Third question - Lightroom or Bridge? I've tried both and both seem OK for me, since I don't do heavy editing.  I guess Bridge seems the easiest (according to the book and Peter still uses that) and Lightroom seems like it's good if you want to edit things after DNG converion, etc.  Any thoughts on which is better for my workflow?

Thanks for the help.
Ryan

edited.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:55:13 PM by ryan » Logged
ryan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »

I edited my post to clarify the process a little bit and ask some more questions. Please reread.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:14:42 AM »

I've used this method to run 5 batches of pictures through so far, and it seems to work fairly well for me.  I've been adding them to iView after I move them to /Converted but I think I may invest in Rank and File to help speed up the tagging/rating aspects from Bridge to Iview.

Are there any real benefits to doing the rating in bridge? I'm putting in Keywords once in iView.... wouldn't it be better just to do the rating there too? The star ratings do transfer from Bridge to iView, but..... ah well. Just wondering what the most expedient/logical way to go about it would be.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: