Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Where to store catalogues
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 10:00:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Software Discussions
| | |-+  Where to store catalogues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Where to store catalogues  (Read 6411 times)
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:03:24 PM »

Catalogues for LR and iVMPro and any others?
Are they best stored on the operating system drive, or another one? Does it make a difference?
I'm just setting up a new workflow to go with LRv2 and thought it worth asking someone.
Chris Bishop
Ken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:19:55 AM »

Hi Chris,

Two issues that come to mind are speed and portability.  Regarding the first, what interface options do you have for a drive other than the one with the OS installed?  Regarding the second, will the catalog be used on more than one machine?  If so, you maya want it, and the images, to reside together on an external drive.

--Ken
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »

I was considering it without trying it. It was to keep the OS drive free as recommended for the photo drive.
Chris Bishop
Photo_op
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:25:25 AM »

Chris- FWIW, I have my setup (MacPro) for LR, since early Beta, with application on system drive, photos and catalogs on 2nd internal, and cache (Bridge, LR) on 3rd internal drive. Reasons are mainly three -
1. "spread" out the disk usage as much as possible to hopefully improve overall performance (all are 500gig @7200rpm),
2. "minimize" disk usage (wear), and
3. facilitate backup procedures to external HDs.

Whether by design or (dumb) luck I don't seem to be plagued by the rash of comments on the forum regarding sluggishness with LR2.

--Dave
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 06:43:34 AM »

I also go for separating the OS, the LR catalogue and the images. I always prefer to keep all the OS stuff on one disc, just in case I ever decide to reinstall (never bothered doing so though). The catalogue and current images are on my fastest drives - internal 500gig 7200rpm SATA.

No sluggishness issues with me or any of the almost 20 machines I've seen LR2 running on. I did have an issue on my PC with failure of Send to Photoshop. That was something we never isolated during the beta phase but was solved by a user suggestion after full release.

John
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »

Thanks all, thats how I'll play it. second internal HDD.
Chris Bishop
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: