Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Recording Picture Library Submissions
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 09:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Software Discussions
| | |-+  Recording Picture Library Submissions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recording Picture Library Submissions  (Read 5424 times)
Matt Limb OBE

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:32:36 AM »

Hello All

After reading the book ... a number of times and some section even more ... and finally being convinced that you do not need to store digital image by theme, client, date etc (sorry to many years with ‘real’ film and transparencies) I am up and running.  I have found my workflow, well it works for me, and the method suits the regular client who need .jpg overnight and given the nature and request that the shoot be in .jpg? – No, no they are the client and they pay the bill!

However, I have scratched my head on this one and not been able to find an answer; how do you record in the image file that an images has been submitted to a picture library?

For example if you use three libraries –Lib A, Lib B and Lib C – and you have the following option with a single image:

1.   Submitted to all three and accepted
2.   Submitted to all three and accepted by Lib A and Lin B refused by Lib C
3.   Submitted to all three and rejected by all three

How do you record that an image has been submitted to the library and retained or rejected and know which library we are referring to?

The idea end-state would be; when a picture library is looking for an image to do a related sort but to exclude any previous rejected submissions and/or previous retained submissions and/or if the image had been submitted to a similar library.

I would not want this data to be in the Keywords and keep private and must be searchable – Any suggestions or ideas?

Matt

Using LightRoom 2 (just upgraded and like it) plus PS-CS3

-----------------------------------------
Matt Limb OBE
www.mlimages.co.uk
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »

I'm sure this question came up recently here but I can't find the thread.

Have you considered using collections? So you might have a Getty collection set, with child collections for Submitted, Approved etc. That info will not get into the picture or any xmp, which is both a plus and a minus.

Alternatively, misuse an IPTC field such as Job or Instructions. So enter GS for Getty Submitted, AA for Alamy Approved. I think the data entry might be more messy here if you're updating images placed in more than one library, but you can then use Smart Collections to identify all the GS, GA etc.

John
Matt Limb OBE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:45:26 AM »

John

It was collections that I had tried but and the IPTC option - but both appeared a little messy!

If you can find the old thread I would be very thankful, I have done a couple of searches but found very little

Matt

Matt Limb OBE
www.mlimages.co.uk
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:32:49 AM »

Matt -

One of the more recent discussions about tracking submissions was discussed here:  http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=1420.0

I though there was another one, but I can not find it. 

I have been thinking of how to do this, but I have no answeres at this time.  I submit to 3 agencies, one of which is image exclusive, while the other two are not.  I sourt part of this out due to the types of photos going to each, but it is getting difficult to track what has been submitted and accepted.  I'm always looking to suggestions.

I just started using Lightroom 2 and like it, smart collections sound interesting and i will be looking into that.  I have been using Expression Media to track, but I have not been able to make it simple enough not to make mistakes.

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »

It wasn't that one! Looked this morning but couldn't find the one I meant.

One other area worth mentioning is the LR2 SDK which allows you to add custom metadata to Lightroom. So this might be the place to record stock submissions, and you could interrogate it via SCs. I haven't had time to see if this is practical yet.

John
Matt Limb OBE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »

Scott

Not much on the link you gave me -but had a look

John

I have not looked at the SDK Issues but if it could add/amend to meta that may be the answer, but not sure about the scripting etc

Thanks to you both for the guidance so far

Matt

Matt Limb OBE
www.mlimages.co.uk
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: