Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lightroom -vs- iView for DAM
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 10:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Software Discussions
| | |-+  Lightroom -vs- iView for DAM
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom -vs- iView for DAM  (Read 33426 times)
Niall Horley

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 02:31:52 AM »

Its nice to know  Smiley

Niall

Niall Horley
www.lifeatf8.co.uk
Orcas

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:23 AM »

To take one more swing at this subject:

I am a serious amateur still photographer, old to photography but new to DAM.  With under 5000 digital images (but growing rapidley) I need to be able to find images within a reasonable amount of time and work.  LR is the prefered S/W because it is Adobe.

LR and DAM
Is it reasonable that:
1. I can at least get by for the present with v1.0
2. Adobe will (soon?) have to improve most of these deficiencies in order to be a serious player in the DAM game
3. when/if #2 happens I will not have to go back and duplicate a lot of work on the existing library

iView MediaPro
4. Other than The DAM Book and the User Manual that IVMP provides, are there any "how to" books for iView MediaPro like there are for LR?

Since I tend to analize a subject to death (paralisys by analysis) I am hoping that someone with experience will look into their crystal ball and help me make this decision.

Thanks,
Ken
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:30:19 AM by Orcas » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 07:14:03 AM »

Ken,
You can probably get by with Lightroom.  As to when to expect a new version...
those who know can't say, those who say, don't really know (but might be making a good guess).

If you are using Lightroom, make sure you have copies of everything, and you still probably want to use some other program to track them (in case of real disaster) for the next little while.

Peter
Orcas

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 09:25:53 AM »

Peter,

Thanks for your reply.  I expect that both iView PM and LT will undergo significant changes over the next year.  While I don't want to spend the extra money, it looks like, for now, buying both programs is the best approach.

Ken
neilcolton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »

Hello All-

Does anyone have experience using Extensis Portfolio? How does it compare to iView MP + Lightroom? A friend recommended it to me in place of these apps.

Neil
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 11:28:02 PM »

Neil

It handles larger numbers of pictures better than iView but it's rather old in the tooth right now. One weakness, why I switched, is that it fails to write metadata back to files other that jpeg and tif. You don't say what your requirements are, but I'm pretty sure there's another thread on this topic.

John
neilcolton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 09:19:30 AM »

John-

Thank you for the the information about Portfolio. I'd like a program that's fast, current and complete (web galleries, etc). I'm using Capture One for RAW conversion, editing and image work. I'm looking for a good cataloguing program. My work is well sorted, but not to the extent Peter recommends. My image count is climbing, though and I want to make it easier to work with my 'library'. My work is mostly scanned MF film and some 35mm digital. I'm pickiing up a Phase One back for my MF rig and I'll be adding a large format rig soon. I'll still use some film, but the balance will shift digital capture, I  bet.  My 'library' now is around 10,000 images +-. I use PS some, but not extensively. I may add video. Still considering that.

I'll look for the thread you mention and thanks again.

Neil
mbrakes

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 04:16:15 AM »

I was just visiting this thread hoping to find some comparison of how LR2 stacks up against Expression Media 2. I have used LR1 to adjust RAW files, but have yet to use any of it's DAM capabilities as they seemed a bit lacking in v1. I have also used Iview MP 3, but found that it left a lot to be desired in terms of stability last time I used it. Kept crashing all the time (on a Mac). So any feedback on how the most recent versions of these programs stack up against each other would be very welcome, it would really help me decide wether to upgrade.

Morten
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: