Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Migrating Files to a new Drive
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:55:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Migrating Files to a new Drive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Migrating Files to a new Drive  (Read 4083 times)
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:54:51 PM »

Hi All,

I have now outgrown the 500GB drive that houses all of my images, and need some advice on the best way to migrate my files so they correspond properly to my EM2 Catalogs.  Here is my current setup:

All of my RAW and Derivative files currently reside on one 500GB internal HD.  I have two EM catalogs, one each for RAW files and Derivative files.

I have just installed a second 500GB drive that I would like to move my RAW files onto, making this a dedicated drive for all of my RAW files.  I want to leave all of my derivative files on the existing 500GB drive, leaving this as a dedicated Derivative drive.   What is the best way to do this?  I have thought of using EM2's "Transfer to Folder..." command (located under the "Action" menu), but was wondering if this would carry my folder structure along, or just move all of my files into one big folder, thereby ruining my bucket structure.  The other method I contemplated was importing my new RAW drive to my EM catalog, then moving the RAW folders to the new drive directly in EM's "Catalog Folders" pane, in the lower left of the main EM window.  Anyone else have a better/easier/safer suggestion?  All of my images are backed up, in case anything goes south...

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Josh McCulloch Photography
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »

John

Transfer works as you fear. I would copy using Finder/Explorer, then use Reset Folder Path, and finally run Find Missing Files.

John
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »

Perfect, thanks for the advice John.  I'm running a copy using Finder at the moment, hopefully all goes smoothly!

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Josh McCulloch Photography
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: