Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Problems With Converting To Jpegs from DNG
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:59:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Problems With Converting To Jpegs from DNG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problems With Converting To Jpegs from DNG  (Read 2703 times)
laurent

View Profile Email
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:51:10 PM »

I've been using Expressions for a while now, but just last week I tried to convert a group of DNG files to jpegs using the Convert Images function and encountered a problem.  The settings I was converting to was a jpeg that fit the proportions of 3200x3200 using the images resolution.  When it converts it, the jpegs end up being entirely too small (res 1068x 600 or so).  Does anyone have any idea for a fix?
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »

Laurent

What size are the previews inside the DNGs? My guess is these are small, not full size

John
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »

Laurent,

Expression Media converts DNG files to JPG by extracting the embedded preview JPG and converting that to requirements.

While it will reduce images to smaller sizes it will not enlarge them.  This means that your DNG images files probably have a medium size preview embedded in them and not a full size one.

What you need to do is 'convert' your DNG files to DNG.  This can be done in Bridge or the standalone converter.  You will need to ensure that select the full size JPG preview.  You can do DNG conversion to overwrite the existing files but I never like this idea so to be safe you should save the 'new' files to a different location.  Put these new DNGs into a temporary xMedia catalog and retry the image conversion.

Once you are happy with the new files then you can then use them to replace your old files.  You should also rebuild your thumbnails (and previews if being used) in your original catalog in xMedia.

Hope this helps.

Ian
laurent

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »

Yup.  I downloaded an update for the DNG converter and it change my settings to medium instead of full size.  Thanks for the help.

-Laurent
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: