Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Issue with previews???
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Issue with previews???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Issue with previews???  (Read 4217 times)
devin

View Profile Email
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »

I am trying to use Expression Media for the first time.

I went under Edit > Thumbnails and Previews....to turn on full screen previews for when the files are offline and then I know I need to go to Action > Rebuild Item for the new full screen previews to be generated. I did that with all my files yet some of them are still not giving me a full screen preview when the files are offline..

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or how I can fix this?

-Devin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:08:24 PM by devin » Logged
devin

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 12:19:25 AM »

I figured out my problem, EM has a 1.8gb limit on the catalog?Huh? That is crazy. I have 29,000 photos and I was trying to have full previews so I can access everything when the files are offline but it does not give me full previews on every image and now this makes sense....

=[ I am sad...

-Devin
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:02:15 AM »

Yes, it makes the previews feature more or less unusable with a decent-sized catalogue. EM2's no better in that regard, much as we have asked for separation of previews from the catalogue file.

John
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:56:54 PM »

Welcome to iView-EM land... it is disappointing that this 2GB limit, which is probably the most clamored-for improvement even before iView became EM, is still not implemented. (* this space reserved for critical remarks about the lack of response to customer feedback... *)
--Bill

devin

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:36:39 PM »

John,

That is what Portfolio does, is separate the previews into a separate folder, that would be great for this...........

but no.

-devin
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »

Welcome to iView-EM land... it is disappointing that this 2GB limit, which is probably the most clamored-for improvement even before iView became EM, is still not implemented. (* this space reserved for critical remarks about the lack of response to customer feedback... *)
--Bill

In all fairness...I have recently been working with the Microsoft XM2 development team on troubleshooting an extremely pesky bug that we ultimately tracked down to a problem with the antivirus software on my server causing hangs when accessing XM2 catalogs over the network.  The XM2 team was _remarkably_ responsive, taking the time to analyze my crash dumps and giving me same day feedback.  I'm just as frustrated with the 2GB limit as everyone else....but I don't know that I'd call them unresponsive.

Andris
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »

Hi Devin,

What Peter Krogh suggests in his Book and many Expression Media users do is build large thumbnails or fullscreen previews *only* for the highest rated images. e.g. your portfolio work, or current project, etc. I do this when I want to work on images whilst traveling, most often annotating legacy images.

If you insist on having 29 000 fullscreen previews then consider splitting the catalog into years, genre, etc.

Yes these are workarounds. As John said Microsoft are well aware of the issue and Expression Media 3 is supposed to fix this and more with a new database. Every application in this area needs workarounds. For better or worse there is just no dominant software like there is pixel editors.

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: