Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Imminent feature: ingesting 8 cards at once (teaser)
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 10:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Imminent feature: ingesting 8 cards at once (teaser)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Imminent feature: ingesting 8 cards at once (teaser)  (Read 2632 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

I'm doing final testing of a long-awaited ImageIngester feature, the ability to ingest several cards at once. Here's the new ingestion-progress panel showing 5 simultaneous ingestions. You're allowed up to 8.

Here's the dock, showing 4 DNG Converters running at once. This is a huge win if you have multiple cores or CPUs.

I can't test 8 yet because I don't have that many card readers, but a matching set of 8 are on their way for arrival on Tuesday. If all goes well, I'll post this new version then. The Windows version will take another week or so, as there's a lot of system work involved to run multiple threads.

This new feature should work fine with the Delkin ImageRouter, but there's no point (as far as I know) of buying two of those for $250 or so when you can get 8 readers with powered USB hubs for under $150. What's more, I think the Delkin takes only CF cards.

All of the simultaneous ingestions must use the same parameters, and, as far as number-ranges and auto-numbers are concerned, the cards are treated as one, which means that numbers will be interleaved. This is required, as otherwise one ingestion would have to wait to find out how many numbers have been used.

The old Start button and thumbnail chooser are still there, but they work with only one ingestion at a time. Also, you can't do simultaneous ingestions from arbitrary disk paths. Only from actual cards.

Stay tuned...

--Marc
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:49:20 AM by Marc Rochkind » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: