Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
iView: no metadata in Photoshop
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 09:00:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  iView: no metadata in Photoshop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: iView: no metadata in Photoshop  (Read 11119 times)
paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »

Hello list,
I read and implemented Peter's excellent DAM book a few months back, and am very happy! Thank you, Peter.
I'm using ImageIngester, and applying contact info at ingestion time. This information shows up in Bridge, when I tweak the shots prior to converting to DNG. When I add the DNGs to my archive, and view in iView, the metadata shows up there too. I keyword the shots in iView, and sync the keywords back to the original files.
However, when I process the DNGs in ACR and open in Photoshop, there is nothing in File Info; no keywords, no contact information. If I open the file from within iView in Apple's 'Preview' application instead, most of the information is there; keywords are there, Copyright is there, but some of the contact info is not. I've searched the forum a little and seen a few similar posts, but haven't seen a definitive answer. Can anyone put me on the right road?
I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.3, iView 3.1.3, ImageIngester 2.4.03 and Photoshop CS2.

best,

Paul Bradforth
http://www.paulbradforth.com
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:29:48 PM »

Have you checked all fields in File Info in Photoshop (when you get the file info dialog box, there is a sidebar--did you check all of the entries to see all fields)? Are you aware that different programs assign different names to the metadata fields?

- Jim

paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 03:07:15 AM »

Have you checked all fields in File Info in Photoshop (when you get the file info dialog box, there is a sidebar--did you check all of the entries to see all fields)? Are you aware that different programs assign different names to the metadata fields?
- Jim
Yes, I checked all fields in Photoshop's Get Info, every sidebar entry. The only thing there was the EXIF data.
I know about the difference in field names too, but I can't think that Marc would not have written IIP to be IPTC compliant?
It gets odder - if I ingest Canon 5D .CR2 files, letting IIP put in my contact details, when I view them in Bridge, prior to converting to DNG, the metadata is there and visible. If I then open in Photoshop, the metadata is not there. In other words, metadata in pictures straight out of the camera is not showing, ruling out both iView and ImageIngester. Perhaps I need to reinstall Bridge or Photoshop ...

Best wishes,

Paul
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:03:19 AM »

- Jim

It gets odder - if I ingest Canon 5D .CR2 files, letting IIP put in my contact details, when I view them in Bridge, prior to converting to DNG, the metadata is there and visible. If I then open in Photoshop, the metadata is not there. In other words, metadata in pictures straight out of the camera is not showing, ruling out both iView and ImageIngester.

When you say II is ruled out--you've tried going straight from card to Photoshop without having II enter your contact info?

- Jim

paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:13:39 AM »

When you say II is ruled out--you've tried going straight from card to Photoshop without having II enter your contact info?
- Jim

No, I haven't, because if I did that, there wouldn't be any metadata there, except the EXIF. I'm not sure that IIP is ruled out actually; maybe it's writing metadata that Photoshop can't read?

Paul
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »

- Jim

No, I haven't, because if I did that, there wouldn't be any metadata there, except the EXIF. I'm not sure that IIP is ruled out actually; maybe it's writing metadata that Photoshop can't read?

Paul

Sorry, dumb question.

- Jim

paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »

Sorry, dumb question.
- Jim
Oh, don't worry about that :-) Ever since I started this thread I've been expecting someone to write in and say 'Why, you blithering idiot, don't you realise ...'
I can't believe there isn't at least one photographer here submitting to Alamy, as I do, who is incorporating his or her keywords into the IPTC fields before uploading? I used to do this using Image Info Toolkit, which worked fine, but wouldn't deal with RAW files. Since adopting Peter's DAM book workflow, I haven't been able to make this work at all ... the annoying part is that Photoshop is always the last stage of the workflow, and it's the one place the metadata won't show up. I can get round the lack of contact info by applying a metadata template I have, in the Photoshop File Info panel. That's fine. If I apply the SAME metadata template in Bridge, it won't show up in Photoshop.

Paul
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

Paul -

I use IIP, bridge, EM1, and PSCS3 and submit to Alamy and I do not lose any of my metadata.  I had not commented since I had no idea where your lack of metadata may have come from.  I applied contact info and frequently bulk keywords in IIP upon ingestion, rate and edit the images in bridge, convert to DNG, import into EM1.  I keyword in EM1 and sync annotations.  Then I have EM1 copy the dngs to a folder that I process for submission to one or more of a few of stock agencies.  The jpegs and tiff files have all of the metadat that placed in the fiiles.

Hopefully, my workflow description helps,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »

Thanks for the reply Scott. My workflow is almost identical to yours - the only thing I do different is that I don't move them to process them, I just choose 'open in Photoshop' in iView.

Best wishes,

Paul
paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 06:36:01 AM »

Well, Scott has very kindly given me quite a lot of off-list help and, while I'm no nearer to solving it, I've discovered a few things.
If I use the new beta of ImageIngester to put in contact info at ingestion time, it not only shows up in Bridge and iView, but in the Photoshop File Info box as well, under 'IPTC Contact'. Keywords and copyright also show up under 'Description' in File Info.
Scott took a look at one of my DNGs, and said the following: "It looks like your metadata is ending up in the XMP DC block for the metadata." He went on to say: "Which is weird as I used MediaPro (3.6) to synchronize this information and Adobe Raw Convertor to generate my DNGs. It looks like Photoshop doesn't read the Dublin Core (dc) section in the XMP metadata but I'm damned if I know why it's ending up there in the first place."

I am still unable to do any editing of keywords or other info and have it appear in the File Info in Photoshop. If I add keywords in iView, they do not show up in Photoshop. I notice something that I only mention in case it matters: I have an anomaly in iView where, if I go to make a new Catalogue Set, the dialog box where I type in the name of the new set is not white, with a cursor, but dark grey. I can type, and just about make out what I'm typing, but it isn't right. I've thrown away the prefs, and I even get the same thing in Expression Media. Anyone seen that before, and is it significant?

Best wishes,

Paul
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: