Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tim Grey leaving Microsoft
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:26:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Tim Grey leaving Microsoft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tim Grey leaving Microsoft  (Read 3247 times)
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »

Tim Grey announced today that this is his last day at Microsoft after three and a half years.

Has he been involved in the acquisition of iView and the "development" of Expressions Media? If so, will his departure have an impact on EM?

I put "development" in quotes because I'm frustrated with the slow pace of advances in EM. I'm sure Microsoft has put good people on this project -- but I can't help but feel that they could have put more people and made it go faster.

I appreciate that they apparently fixed a lot of bugs under the hood -- but I just spent $99 on EM2 and feel like I have a program that doesn't perform as well as IVMP in some important regards (speed of rendering DNG previews).

My best hope at this point is that Adobe will produce a full-featured DAM application. I sure hope SOMEONE does!

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
mikeseb
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:29:15 AM »

Ralph, I share some of your frustrations but not others. My most pressing need is better integration among the various tools in my DAM and image editing tool-kit.

I posted here the other day in another thread http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=3364.msg18598#msg18598 about my recent experience in Expression Media 2 reorganizing my catalog of 25,000-plus images; it was generally a positive experience. I think this version of EM (on the mac at least) is the most stable and speediest version I've used (user since iVMP version 1).

As much as I'd like a do-it-all program combining the best features of lightroom, bridge, and EM, can you imagine the bloated mess it would be? I'd rather have better integration among the different, purpose-built tools we have already. Certainly, I'd trust Adobe more than any of the others to make this happen. EM owned by Adobe and made to work seamlessly with LR/PS? Wow. Bridge could remain as the lightweight, quick alternative, sort of like iPhoto without the image editing features (since it serves other functions within Creative Suite not limited just to PS/LR); while Adobe Expression Media would be its industrial-strength asset manager.

Wild speculation is fun, no?

Mike S.

ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »

I agree with you. I just posted about this in another thread: http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=3365.new;topicseen#new

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: