Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Advice needed about switching to EM from Lightroom and Bridge
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Advice needed about switching to EM from Lightroom and Bridge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advice needed about switching to EM from Lightroom and Bridge  (Read 4426 times)
Susan A Roth

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »

I have 10,000 digital images in all formats which have had keywords added in BridgeCS3 and Lightroom. My deep heirarchical controlled vocabulary of botanical/scientific names and other technical jargon has grown to such huge proportions that neither Bridge nor Lightroom can handle it. So, I am switching to EM2. ┬ But I am very worried. ┬ I have been told that my Bridge keyord list will flatten on import into EM. Further reading has me concerned that the metadata embedded with images also will not import properly adn may be entirely lost.

Two questions:

1) will keywords and other metadata remain associated with my images when I import them into an EM2 catalog?

2) has anyone used services or scripts by John Beardsworth in the UK to have heirarchical keyword lists transformed for use in EM? I found him on the internet and I am considering this service. His site is www.beardsworth.co.uk

Thanks!

Susan
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 12:03:52 AM »

My wholehearted recommendations for John and his services! While I haven't used the specific script you are asking about, I have never been disappointed with any of his scripts. Beside being a nice guy all around, he is a programmer and a photographer, knowing both ends.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:21:08 AM »

Susan,

I have used several of his scripts and they work very well.  John also frequents this forum and has given advice to many of us on many ocassions - he has saved me lots of time and ending several frustrating events for me.

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »

Hi Susan,

John can help you migrate your information and is uniquely qualified to do so. Personally I'd wait a little longer before moving to Expression Media 2.

-- Robert.

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »

Thanks all. I was away snapping a wedding in Positano on the Amalfi coast in Italy and then taking a few days to see Paestum - best of all though was the fried scamorza at a nearby buffalo farm. Nice guy all round? Nah, a gallivanting layabout!

Anyway, Susan contacted me directly. I think Robert's advice about EM2 is right, and I'd also see if the LR/Bridge issue can be resolved.

John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: