Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Nikon Capture NX2 and Expressions Media 2
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:59:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Nikon Capture NX2 and Expressions Media 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nikon Capture NX2 and Expressions Media 2  (Read 13814 times)
photoman43

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 02:20:56 PM »

I just have been reading about the new version of Nikon Capture NX2 that was released June 3.  Will Expressions Media 2 be able to "process" or interact with  NEF files processed by this version of Capture NX?  My NEF files have been produced by D 200 and D 300 cameras. Right now I do not own any version of EM or i View.  I have been holding off until EM2 will work with D 300 NEF files.

Most of my D 200 files were downloaded with Downloader Pro but w/o XMP files. Most of my D 300 files have been downloaded with Downloader Pro with XMP files. I was hoping to use EM2 to begin to catalogue all of my d 200 and d 300 NEF files once I learned that EM2 could handle D 300 NEF files. 

I have learned that NX2 has XMP capabilities not possessed by its predecessors. NX2 offers support for stars as well as labels. I got this info from Jason Odel's web site: http://www.luminescentphoto.com/articles/CNX2/capturenx2_review.html.

Any thoughts, recommendations or advice will be appreciated. Joe Smith

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »

Actually the close connection between Nikon and Microsoft for the codec development has paid of for Capture NX 2, too. CNX2 now has a broader support for management tools, formerly the area of View NX. It's just ratings, labels and XMP support [the latter is very basic]. The labels in CNX2 can be set to conform with various applications, obviously older Capture versions, Adobe Bridge CS2, Adobe Bridge CS3 - and Microsoft Expression Media.

xMedia uses Nikon's own codec [see above] to read from, render and write to NEFs, hence the support for cameras hangs solely on Nikon. Fear not, the new codec is available: http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/.

The xMedia developers also changed the API for Open with ..., it is now possible to use this instead of a script, as the file names are handed over through Windows directly not the Command Line API [guesswork by me; just works now].

Before you buy xMedia 2, it is advisable to use the trial period for as long as possible.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
John N

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »

re: " The xMedia developers also changed the API for Open with ..., it is now possible to use this instead of a script, as the file names are handed over through Windows directly not the Command Line API [guesswork by me; just works now]."

"Open with" still does not work for me, even in EM2.  All the filenames are converted to 8.3 format in the helper application.  "Open with default application" works, but not "open with."  This problem is not just with CaptureNX, but I have it with other applications like PhotoZoom and even with Windows Media Player.  The only application where the file name is passed correctly is Photoshop.  Not sure why this would be different but it is. 
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:39:12 PM »

Curious, I've done both in the past few days - after realising it works now. I've done it with Open With Default App, with Open With Capture NX, ... with Capture NX 2, ... with Photoshop [CS3]; Default app was either one of the three at one time. Only time I had trouble was after installing NX 2 [can run parallel to NX, if someone's interested], when I changed the default app for NEF to NX 2 during the installation process.

Although my NEFs had been associated with NX before, after NX 2 install Photoshop was registered. And with all Adobe registry entries since CS2 the file association was suddenly locked; had to reset permissions and register NX 2 manually.

Dierk

John N

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »

Not sure why "open with"  works for you and not me.  I did notice that you are on XP, I'm on Vista.  Are you using the final version of EM2 or the last beta?  How long are the filenames that you are trying to pass.  Mine are pretty long, often more than 20 characters.

Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:52:49 PM »

XPSP2 with xMedia release [build 1477]. My file names are rather long most of the time, usually between 20 and 30 characters - and that's not including the full name, which is made up of the full path plus the proper name plus the file's extension. I also tend to send several files at once.

Dierk

John N

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »

I tested this again this morning just to make sure I wan't mistaken.  I tried "open with" to send a file to Capture NX 2 and even to Windows Media Player.  In both instances the filename was shortened.   I don't think this is strictly a Capture NX issue because it happens with other programs. I think its an EM problem.  I still have EM1 installed on my machine in addition to EM2.  I'm wondering if this could be due to some registry setting that EM1 set, that might be different on your machine.
photoman43

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:30:51 AM »

Dierk, this is a issue for you since you use Downloader Pro for your NEF files.  I stated to add all of the EXIF/IPTC data that I could at the time of download when I got my D 300.  When I look at the IPTC  info in View NX, I find that the info in DP under Contact tab does not get read by View NX or Capture NX. I have checked all three of the boxes in Preferences at teh bottom so all of the data should be going over. Do you get Contact tab data to transfer over?  If Yes, what version of DP are you using? Or is there some other setting in DP I am missing ? I have read the help PDF file about five times and have reinstalled the program a few times, but that has not helped.   Joe Smith 
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »

John, it shouldn't be, since different registry tree names arfe used for all three versions [MediaPro, xMedia 1, xMedia 2]. I never had version 1 installed since it had too many issues in areas important to me. I did find during beta of v2 [and after release] that the registry settings of xMedia are a bit flaky. For instance, the EXPO branch under 2Preferences loses settings in the Convert Images dialogue instead of saving them correctly [issue known to the developers].

Are you familiar with the registry? If so, check the entry HKCR\.nef; it is the one setting the standard handler for this file type. Of particular interest are the three entries under the base branch:

(Standard) should have the value Nikon.CaptureNX.nef

ContentType should have the value image/NEF

PerceivedType should have the value image.

The appropriate values for the branch Nikon.CaptureNX.nef should point to Capture NX 2.EXE.

If you cannot make head or tails of what I wrote, ignore it!

Joe, AFAIK neither Capture NX [1 and 2] nor Nikon View NX support XMP, the way Downloader Pro writes metadata. I've set BDP such that it writes legacy IIM/IPTC, too, letting me enter at least some data. Most of my annotating happens in xMedia, with a basic template for custom fields and those that don't take over correctly from BDP. Everything else is done manually to individual files, batches or via individual metadata templates created on the fly.

Dierk

photoman43

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

Thanks, Dierk.  At least I now know that I have not done anything wrong. I think I will download X Media as a trial this weekend and give it a try, first with my D 200 NEF images and then with some from my D 300 with XMP files and see what happens.  Joe Smith
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »

@John N

I've replied to you(?)  in the MS forum. Let me know if that solution works and I'll post it here.

John
John N

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:30 PM »

Yes, the script works with minor modifications.  This is a good workaround until they fix this.  Drag and Drop seems to work also.

(You wouldn't happen to have a script to load hierarchical keywords from a file would you....)

Thanks

John Neuner
davewolfs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »

Do any of you know if EM 2 will work with Vista 64 bit and D300 NEF files?
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:02:24 AM »

John N, I found the difference between our work-flows causing the mismatch: Until today I only opened NEFs, which are registered to CNX2. Just now I decided to take on some very old JPEGs taken with a D1x over to CNX2 - guess what, same problem.

Since JPEGs are registered with Photoshop on my machine, I did not use the defautl application entry but an additionally defined Open With Capture NX2, which lgoes through the Windows command line API resulting in truncated file names resulting in different files being opened and saved later than the ones I sent over from xMedia.

So, this p**-poor design decision is still active.

Dierk

John N

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »

Dierk, What is frustrating is that this bug has been known since way back in the Iview Multimedia days. 

John N
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: