Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hiding Photos
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2020, 09:12:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Hiding Photos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hiding Photos  (Read 5905 times)
braver

View Profile Email
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »

I wonder how can I keep all of my pics in the same LR catalog while hiding certain pics -- such as nude pics of my girlfriend(s) -- from a casual browser?  Ideally, they'd not show up in any thumbs, details, etc.  I'd need to turn a switch to work with them, and shut them close when done.  However, I do the DAM workflow by card, and these pics are not the only ones on a card often -- so I'd be hesitant to pluck them out of the natural sequence in which pics were taken -- it would create holes in the camera-assigned file IDs, etc.  When showing pics to friends or creating slide shows from the LR, I don't want to fret that those pics would show up.  Any ideas?
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:53:56 PM »

Normally I recommend using a single catalogue but this is one of those cases where I think it best to put them in another catalogue.

John

ps With my moderator hat on, Alexy, please note that the forum rules are to sign off posts with our first names.
braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:06:10 PM »

John -- thanks for the reminder! 

I wonder how, with the two catalogs, one would divide the buckets/folders between them?...

Cheers,
Alexy
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »

It's a difficult issue. Mature database-driven applications don't generally force the user to break up the database in order to hide certain data - they have user name and security level structures. But there's nothing like that in Lightroom (or Aperture). I hope we'll see this in Lightroom before too long, perhaps as part of networked catalogues (it's more a matter of design - Portfolio's single user client has it) but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You could run a separate parallel bucket system - yuck. Or maybe once you burn the backup, replace the online versions of the files with placeholder images and rebuild the previews? Not an easy one - hopefully others will come up with more practical approaches.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:17:45 AM »

Alexy,
I'm afraid that I can't think of a good solution either, other than total segregation.
Peter
Braders

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 08:40:43 PM »

Why not just stack them under another image (with clothes on!), collapse the stack, and assign a special keyword to the top image.

Brad
markpirozzi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:29 AM »

If you are going to have a separate bucket system for types of photos that takes a long time to fill a DVD, you could switch to buckets the size of CDs and burn to CDs.  At some point after you have 6 or 7 of these buckets, you can then burn them all to a DVD.

Mark

Mac OSX 10.7, 2009 MacPro
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: