Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Thumb nails from Layered files in Expression
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:57:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Thumb nails from Layered files in Expression
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thumb nails from Layered files in Expression  (Read 2903 times)
ShepFerg

View Profile Email
« on: May 21, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »

Expression has worked for me. However, when I try to use it to view layered Tiffs or Psd files, it shows the masks but not the image. I have tried making sure I had the image layer selected before closing the files but that seems to make no difference. I see no mention of this issue on the forum. Am I doing something wrong in creating thumbnails?
Shep Ferguson
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »

Since I happened upon the same ... no. Though this could be a feature not a bug.

Step by step ...
The PSD, I assume is saved with Max Comp chosen, thus saving a flattened version with the original used by those programs not capable of getting all the layers, masks etc. IIRC, MediaPro 3.x used that flattened version of the file to create thumbnails, light table and Media view. At least I never could make much sense of the Transparency colour option in MP's preferences.

Essentially the same is true for layered TIFFs, though in this case the flattened version is always saved with it [there's no option to not save it], in part because not many programs support layered TIFFs.

Now, as I found out lately, xMedia 2 does use and show transparency/alpha channel. You can choose how xMedia handles this under

Edit->Preferences->Media Rendering

I cannot check if deselection 'Use alpha channel' will help you, since I threw away the completely superfluous alpha channels I had in a handful of images. These channels were left-overs of operations after I had flattened the images [a strange becoming of Photoshop CS3].

Try to un-check the option on alpha channels, tell us if it works.

PS: Don't forget to rebuild the thumbnails after you changed the option.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
rcannonp

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:50:07 AM »

One thing that I've found when dealing with this myself is that any masks on channel 4 are what is shown. If you add a new mask, set it to channel 4, and fill it with white, you won't see any clipping. Setting your prefs to not show alpha channels should fix the preview issue in EM, but if you don't add the extra channel, you may see the clipping in other places.

–Cannon

15" MBP :: OS 10.5.6 :: Lightroom 2 :: C1 Pro 3.7 :: CS3 :: EM2
ShepFerg

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 06:52:25 AM »

Thank you. I had never heard of some of this (saving flattened files along with layered files). I'll take a shot at it.
Shep Ferguson
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: