Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Installing XM2 trial wipes out IVMP 3.1 preferences
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:46:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Installing XM2 trial wipes out IVMP 3.1 preferences
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Installing XM2 trial wipes out IVMP 3.1 preferences  (Read 3135 times)
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »

Hi,

Just a heads up...pretty much what the subject says.  I just installed the XM2 trial version, and then opened iView (not XM) and was shocked to see that I lost all my custom color label names, thumbnail settings (i.e. my fixed size 640px setting went back to the annoying 'variable' default) and such.  Thought everyone would like a warning.

I'm on Windows XP Pro.

Cheers,

Andris
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »

Interesting. Particularly since the registry entries xMedia uses are labelled with an additional '2' to preserve any older entries. Actually the whole registry entry tree for xMedia 2 resides under HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Expression/Media/2, far from the iView MediaPro keys.

Did you install xMedia into a different directory [on second thought, they changed the folder structure such that it shouldn't wipe out any previous files in MediaPro's directory]? Even the common folders are different, so that I had to copy scripts and templates back and forth.

BTW, I have run both MediaPro 3.1.3 and xMedia 2 side by side some time.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:33:18 AM »

Hi Dierk,

I figured the developers of XM2 would have kept things completely separate, and I had heard that people were running IVMP and XM side by side so I didn't anticipate having this problem.  I installed XM2 to its default directory (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Media 2).  I don't know if it's relevant, but I have IVMP 3.1, XM 1, and XM 2 all installed on this machine...though I never run them at the same time.

Now that I have the preferences dialed back in to where I had them before, everything seems to run smoothly...so it's not that they don't play nice.  It was just annoying to have to reset the prefs.  In particular, I'm glad I caught that 'variable' thumbnail size before importing anything.

Andris
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »

Did you check your registry on how the different keys are sorted there? Could you also check the several common directories, particularly  C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application data\[program name]; I am interested in how your installations handled all that.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: