Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media 2
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 11:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Expression Media 2  (Read 17469 times)
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »

I just started running EM2 today and instantly noticed a speed increase over iView 3.1.3. I would never have been tempted to move over to EM if it weren't for continual kernel panics when launching iView under Leopard 10.5.2. Ditto Dierk: the icons are horrid.
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 11:40:31 PM »

I just started running EM2 today and instantly noticed a speed increase over iView 3.1.3.

In what ways are you finding EM2 faster?

Trying it under Windows Vista and browsing through my images, I found that full-size previews of DNG files took about 3 seconds to render, versus 0.5 second for IVMP. And PSD files are taking about 12 seconds, versus 3 seconds in IVMP.

I upgraded hoping to see some speed improvements. The program does seem zippier in some aspects; but the slow media rendering is very disappointing, and has caused me to go back to IVMP for now.

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »

Anyone know how many images EM2 can have without crashing or getting very sluggish?

- Jim

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »

Jim,
First thing to watch is catalog size - keep well under the 1.8 GB limit for the catalog.  Rebuild preview at a lower quality if you need to save space.

As to nuber of items, part of the question has to do with what part of the software you're using.  Running a "find" will start to slow down at 25,000 or so, IIRC.  Other functions - like clicking between catalog sets - should not get much slower at all.

My largest catalogs have about 60,000 images in them, and are okay in speed for everything by "find".
Peter
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »

Trying it under Windows Vista and browsing through my images, I found that full-size previews of DNG files took about 3 seconds to render, versus 0.5 second for IVMP. And PSD files are taking about 12 seconds, versus 3 seconds in IVMP.

I upgraded hoping to see some speed improvements. The program does seem zippier in some aspects; but the slow media rendering is very disappointing, and has caused me to go back to IVMP for now.

I'm updating my comments above. I've since switched from IVMP to EM (Windows Vista). After installing the Ardfry DNG Codec ($30) my DNG previews are very fast. PSD previews are still slow (3-10 seconds depending on file size), but I decided to live with that. I suppose it's too much to hope that Adobe will release a PSD codec for Windows, so we can see their thumbnails in folders and faster previews in EM.

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 12:34:30 AM »

Isn't that a disadvantage of PSD, that it's more proprietary than TIF? I don't see any benefits from saving as PSD.

John
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: