Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
CF copy problems
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  CF copy problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CF copy problems  (Read 6491 times)
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »

I've been having getting my RAW files transferred from CF cards to my G5. I usually use a USB 2 card reader and ImageIngester. Lately I've been getting a lot of read errors--II stops and tells me this. So then I tried just copying the CF card to my desktop, without II. The copying stops after a while, and I can't cancel the copy (via the Finder copy progress bar). This happened with two different CF cards. I brought another brand new one--same thing. I've also tried 3 different card readers--still the copy issue.

I just tried copying the card to my Macbook, and it copied fine.

Anyone else have any issues like this? I'm wondering if it's my hard drive, or maybe the Finder is corrupted, or possible a hardware problem with my USB ports. By the way, the problem happened with the readers connected directly to the computer's USB port--not a hub. And there's no other USB device drawing power, at least not that I'm aware of.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is frustrating.

eta:

I always format my cards before shooting. It seems unlikely that the problem lies with the cards or card readers, since the problem has happened with 3 different cards and 3 readers. Also, I just copied the contents of the card I couldn't copy directly to my G5, by copying to my Macbook via USB reader, and then transferred from MB to G5 via Firewire. The folder and all image files copied without a hitch. So I'm guessing the problem isn't with corrupted files.

Also, I made sure there was enough drive space for the files; ie, it wasn't a matter of no room for the RAW files.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:38:34 PM by jimtron » Logged

rcannonp

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:51:46 AM »

Are you using the USB port on the front of the machine? Have you tried the other ones around back? Have you tried a firewire card reader? Do you ever run any system maintenance  utilites like Onyx or Cocktail? If not then you might try running the maintenance scripts and clearing your system caches. Another thing to try would be zapping the PRAM. Restart then hold down command-option-p-r until it chimes again. Sometimes that can sort out peripheral problems.

-Cannon

15" MBP :: OS 10.5.6 :: Lightroom 2 :: C1 Pro 3.7 :: CS3 :: EM2
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »

Are you using the USB port on the front of the machine? Have you tried the other ones around back? Have you tried a firewire card reader? Do you ever run any system maintenance  utilites like Onyx or Cocktail? If not then you might try running the maintenance scripts and clearing your system caches. Another thing to try would be zapping the PRAM. Restart then hold down command-option-p-r until it chimes again. Sometimes that can sort out peripheral problems.

-Cannon

I've used front and back USB ports. Haven't tried a FW reader, but I'm now thinking of getting one. I have Onyx but haven't run it lately--I'll give that a chance. I'll try zapping the PRAM too. Thanks for the suggestions.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »

Jim,
Lots of places the problem can come from - card format, card media, card pins, reader pins, reader chipset, reader connection, cable, computer connection, connection to drive, drive controller, drive media, RAM, logic board to name a few - yikes.

One (or maybe more, but I bet one unless you had a voltage spike or a drink spilled on the computer) is fumbling.

It's further complicated by the way Bridge/Lightroom handles cache.  It caches the file once, and even if it sees the file again with a different name from a different download it will apply the same cache to build a preview.  This means that the only way to tell each file is good (after initial cache is built) is to purge global and local cache and rebuiild, or to open all the way to photoshop.  Alternately, if you build DNGs with full-sized previews and see if you see problems.

Here's an example of a file corruption problem  had, probably associated with a backup drive that did not have a solid connection.  It did not  not kill any downloads, but would introduce the corruption in this form periodically (not always to the same files, which told me it was a transfer problem.

http://www.peterkrogh.com/Krogh_BW_8609.jpg

It's hard to track down, but you have to do it.  Try a new reader first.  Examine all connections with a magnifying glass.  Reseat all connections.

Peter

jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 09:34:34 PM »

Thanks for the responses folks. I wonder if this might have to do with OS X, or my hard drive. I've tried 3 or 4 readers and many different cards. I've used USB cards, and now I have a FW 800 card. Sometimes I have no trouble, and other times I get errors. Just now II stopped and reported an error. So I started over without II, and tried just to copy all the files from the card into a new folder on my desktop. I got an error -50. Some of the files that were copied had generic white icons that wouldn't open. So then I rebooted the G5 and tried again to copy the files from card to desktop (again without II). and all files transferred fine.

I recently ran Diskwarrior on my startup drive, which seems to be fine. And I have over 23GB of free space.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them--this is getting frustrating.

- Jim

rcannonp

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:17:43 AM »

It sounds like you might have a corrupted preference file. I would start by trashing the Finder prefs and see how that works.

–Cannon

15" MBP :: OS 10.5.6 :: Lightroom 2 :: C1 Pro 3.7 :: CS3 :: EM2
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:24:49 AM »

It sounds like you might have a corrupted preference file. I would start by trashing the Finder prefs and see how that works.

–Cannon

I'll give that a try, thanks.

jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »

OK, it just happened again--here are details; forgive me if this is redundant:

- transferred a card with not too many images on it via II (including DNG converter). no problems
- put in another card with many images. II showed "read error" ingestion halted.
- I looked at the thumbnails on the card, via OS X finder (not the transferred files; the original files still on CF card)--one file showing generic icon instead of thumbnail icon
- quit II, ejected card, and inserted in back in reader (800FW CF reader). Checked file that had generic icon before--now that file is showing thumbnail
- I copied all files from card to a folder on my desktop (manually, via Finder).
- now I'm running II using the folder on my desktop as the source instead of CF card. seems to be working. This is what I've done in the past after experiencing the problem, though I have had problems when manually copying files to the desktop--where one or more files will end up with a generic icon.

I don't know if this helps or not. Anyone else experiencing anything else like this?

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:55:41 PM »

Jim,
It sounds like you are only using one camera and one computer, but have had similar problems with multiple cards and readers and ports.  Is that right?  Are you sure that it's different cards?

A card attached to the computer will sometimes show some images as corrupt, and then after reconnect, will show different ones as corrupt (or maybe none).  right?

Have you tried to connect and reconnect cards a number of times, and see if you can force the error?

Have you looked as the connectors on the media card with a magnifying glass?

It sounds like a problem with the connection or your computer - maybe an internal connection.

Any chance you put new ram in recently, or swapped out a hard drive?

Peter
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »

Thanks for the reply Peter.

Yes, usually one computer (G5 mac pro) and one camera, although rarely I ingest via Macbook, and I don't remember ever having trouble on the MB. It's definitely happened on at least 2 or 3 different cards, including brand new ones.

A card attached to the computer will sometimes show some images as corrupt, and then after reconnect, will show different ones as corrupt (or maybe none).  right?
Yes.

Have you tried to connect and reconnect cards a number of times, and see if you can force the error?
No, I'll try that.
Have you looked as the connectors on the media card with a magnifying glass?
Yes, the connectors look fine. And I've had the problem with 2 different card readers, and then bought a new FW800 one, which I've had the problem with.
Any chance you put new ram in recently, or swapped out a hard drive?
No on the ram, yes on the hard drive.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 06:47:31 AM »

Jim,
Any luck determining this?
If you've swapped out all components on the outside of the computer (cards, readers, cables, ports you use), then I'd suspect something inside the computer, like a bad drive connection or drive (or maybe RAM>
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: