Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sorry I've been away...
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 03:50:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Sorry I've been away...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sorry I've been away...  (Read 7876 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:09:43 PM »

I just wanted to drop a note here apologizing for going dark for the last month and a half.  Thanks to Dan Altick and John Beardsworth for keeping things running around here.

Between Tasmania - http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/adventure - and family, and a recent shoot in Hawaii  - the next installment for this project - http://go.footnote.com/thewall/ - , I've been pretty swamped.  Jet lag is a b*tch.

I've also started writing again, for those of you who have been asking - no release dates yet, but you will *not* be able to hold your breath until then. I'll talk to my publisher about when we can realistically expect to see another book.

Between writing and two trips to Africa this summer, I'm going to be pretty pressed for time.  I'm glad to see everyone is pitching in and offering help to fellow photographers.

The XTrain videos got caught in the scheduling crossfire, and have not yet been completed.  Sorry to say that I can't give you dates on these either.

In any case, know that I'm working on the issues on all fronts - UPDIG, software development, books, video, DAMuseful -  and expect to have lots of new material to roll before I'm (more) old and (more) grey.

Thanks again to Dan.

Peter

frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »

Peter,

Among the words that one should never use in an effective apology are the  following: 
Hawaii.   Tasmania.   Africa.   
 Wink

Still, it's good to have you back!!

Frank
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:48:31 PM »

Now, it would have been an entirely different apology if, say, you'd just come back from:

AmsterDAM
    or
DAMascus

(*wink*)
--Bill
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »

Peter,

Welcome back.  Sounds like some good stuff in the works.  Looking forward to it.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Ken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:01:14 AM »

Peter,

What can you tell us about Footnote?

--Ken
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:39 AM »

Ken,
What do you want to know?
Peter
Ken

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:34:28 AM »

Well, as a history major and amateur photographer, I found the site interesting, but I was not certain where they were heading with it.  Were you just involved in technical matters (i.e. DAM issues), and are you limtied to the one project relating to the memorial?  O, are you involved in the design and direction of the overall site?  I think I'll need to spend some more time viewing the whole site to get a better feel of it.  There was an interesting thread at a photo.net forum (Philosophy of Photography) several months ago that discussed the role and purpose of snapshots and personal photo collections with respect to history.  Its a very interesting topic, but this forum is probably not the best place for its discussion.

--Ken
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 12:31:04 PM »

Ken,
I've just completed my second project for them.  The are just a client that I provide photography for, but obviously the projects they do hit a lot of my hot buttons.  We're hoping to expand the scope of these "names" memorial websites - I really think it's an amazing addition to a commemorative memorial like the Vietnam Veterans wall.

I think the site needs to be a little easier to navigate.  There's a lot of information there that is not yet easy to find.

For instance, anybody can get a footnote account and add comments and photos to each name on the wall.  But it's a bit hard to find these.  If you go to this page:

http://www.footnote.com/discoveries.php

and click on "Comments" under "Look what people are doing on Footnote" you'll see a stream of comments as they are added. Many of these are extremely poignant and can make you cry.  If you click on "See al Comments" it takes you to a longer list, most of which seem to be about the wall.

Footnote has lots of stuff that is part of the pay site, but the Wall will always be part of the free content.

Peter

Ken

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Peter.  I would agree that the navigation could be better.  I'll try and spend some more time exploring the comments for the memorial project.  I am sure that they are quite moving.

Thanks,

--Ken
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 12:26:11 AM »

eg It was only on my second visit and after 5 minutes that I spotted the about link at the bottom of the page

John
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:01:49 PM »

Peter,

Just got a chance to look at your work in creating the online wall.... a most praiseworthy endeavor, and certainly no small task.  Thanks for sharing that - an interesting site.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:36:40 AM »

Again, I need to apologize for being away, and to say that the near future does not look any better. 

I'm officially hard at work with DAM Book 2.0, and still have a mind-bending travel schedule - Seattle, Sebastopol, San Jose, three weeks of workshops in Africa, and Las Vegas for Photoshop World - and that's just the next 8 weeks.

I'm finding that I need to devote every spare minute to book writing.  Hopefully the community here can take up the slack - thanks Dan and John - and the trade-off for better information later will be worth it.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »

Peter,

Press on.  I'm looking forward to the 2nd edition.  Any idea on a release date?

Dan

annbrooks

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 05:03:30 PM »

Peter,

Welcome back. I've been a bit out of touch myself.

Sebastopol? Are you giving a workshop or presentation there that I might plug into? I'm half an hour away in Marin.

Ann
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: