Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media v2.0, Change Log?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:54:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media v2.0, Change Log?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expression Media v2.0, Change Log?  (Read 6326 times)
SteveM

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »

Is there a document listing the changes and enhancements from version one?

I've visited the site but can find only "Video Feature Tours".

I'd prefer an old school written list.

Thanks,

SteveM

IIP - PM - CS3 (Bridge, ACR, PS) - XM - OS X
SteveM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 11:50:01 AM »

I've since exchanged emails with a couple of people at Microsoft on the Expressions Media team, and was directed to a blog entry about the beta release (you'll need to scroll down to the March 7th entry: "xMedia 2 Beta is live!"):

http://k7vi.spaces.live.com/

Under the heading "What's New in 2?" we find:

- Shared Catalogs
- Stable Import
- Quicktime on Windows is Optional

And that's it!

The Expression Media page at Microsoft has been updated:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/overview.aspx?key=media#page-top

But there is still not list of what's new in version two. There is a features link but lists the features of Expression Media in general, not the differences form v1 to v2.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/features/Default.aspx?key=media

And on the last noted page there is a Release Notes link, but this appears to be a nothing more than an errata list for the shipping documentation.

If anyone else has found or created a "what's new" list please share it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

iView was acquired by Microsoft in June of 2006. And after almost two years one of the major features is that Quicktime is now optional on Windows?

If that, and the two other items listed above are the only truly new features, then it is pretty sad.

As I use OS X the Quicktime "feature" is of no use to me. And I don't have a need to share catalogs. And shouldn't "Stable Import" be a given?¬ 

I see no reason to spend $99 for version 2.

Very disappointing.

SteveM

roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:00:07 AM »

Hi Steve,

What's new in Version 2? I've copied the end of my post from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc295037.aspx

There is some bling. Hierarchical keywords and geotagging are the big new features. Mostly we're told under the hood fixes to enhance performance. For example it is now multithreaded so import is faster and you can safely work on the catalog during import. Too many bugs have crept in and some are bad enough to keep me clear of Expression Media 2. I'll visit v2 again when service pack one arrives. Unfortunately I agree with you about the upgrade.

-- Robert.

Support of new file formats
Expression Media now supports the Microsoft Office 2007/2008 file formats DOCX, DOTX, PPTX, POTX, XLSX and XLT. Expression Media also now supports XAML, Design, XEJ (Expression Encoder Job), CSS, JS, and VBS file formats.

Improved network performance
Expression Media now performs much more quickly across networks, and enables catalog locking so multiple users can access and view a catalog from a shared location while someone has it open and is editing it.

Updates to the Info and Organize panels
Each panel contains new menus in annotation fields that include options for sorting images using either a union or an intersection of keywords.

Hierarchical keywords
With the new Hierarchical Keywords section in the Organize panel, you can create and view hierarchies of keywords for your media files. For example, you can describe all the layers in a photograph file. Instead of merely tagging your photograph "Europe," you can create a keyword hierarchy that specifies the country, the city, the street, and even the physical location of the scene (for example, "upstairs and to the right"). Or, instead of tagging a photograph "dogs," you can create a keyword hierarchy that specifies animals, mammals, and even specific breeds. The Hierarchical Keywords section gives you many options for clearly and accurately categorizing your media files.

Improved performance
Common tasks such as importing media, building catalogs, and creating thumbnails are now faster. Also, smart importing functionality prevents corrupted files from hindering import. Expression Media will continue the import even when it encounters corrupt files and will report any problematic files once the import is complete.

Multi-monitor Light Table
You can increase your productivity by having the Light Table open on one monitor while your catalog and tools are open on another. There's no longer a need to switch back and forth between views.

Silverlight web galleries
You can present your image collections in dynamic, rich, cross-platform Silverlight web galleries using the templates included in Expression Media.

Changed QuickTime functionality   (Windows)
Although Expression Media no longer requires that you have QuickTime installed, you will see a "QT" logo next to features that require QuickTime in order to run properly. These include:

Slideshow as movie
Convert sound files
Convert movie files
Image rotate
Image Editor
PDF Maker

If you already have QuickTime installed, the "QT" logo will disappear and all features will work as expected.

Windows Imaging Components¬  (Windows)
If QuickTime is not installed, then Expression Media uses the new WIC (Windows Imaging Component) for image encoding, decoding, and transformation, which are tasks that QuickTime performed. For certain file types, you will need to install individual codecs. For more information, go to http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/downloads/codecs.aspx.

You can still install QuickTime for extended file support.

Catalog media from storage devices using Autoplay (Windows)
You can place your files in a catalog directly from portable storage devices, such as USB drives and flash memory cards. When you insert storage devices that contain your media files, the resulting AutoPlay dialog box will offer you the choice of importing and cataloging those files immediately.

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:06:17 AM »

Virtual Earth for geopositioning added

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
SteveM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »

Thanks Robert and Dierk,

I like the hierarchical keywords and the multi-monitor light table.

And virtual earth sounds intriguing, how does it work?

Thanks again,

SteveM

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:25:45 PM »

For photos with existing geo-data - GPS receiver on some Nikon body provides that - VE will show you the location you took the photo in with a red pin [photo needs to be selected]. Photos which do not have any GPS data saved with them can be positioned by d'n'd onto the grey area under the titel bar of the VE window. They inherit the position right in the middle of the VE window.

Before you get too excited, I have to add that the VE integration is a bit cumbersome ATM. The drop-area is suboptimal in that it is not obvious hwere to drag and why there to. You also cannot position the pin [or the photo] directly by moving it within the map/satellite image. The interactive search never works for me, either because it doesn't work at all or is limited to search words nowhere documented or it works only with non-Germany locations.

Considering that the VE integration on Microsoft's free Pro Photo Tools is darn close to perfect - a program developed parallel, thugh by another team - it is a bit surprising to see the premium product only providing the very basic functionality. Nevertheless, it is a welcome and helpful addition.

PS: Another provision, xMedia uses pre-defined custom [that is non-standard] fields to save any geodata put in via VE; they may not be readable by other programs including Pro Photo Tools [and the other way round due to xMedia's aversion to XMP].

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
SteveM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 05:19:10 PM »

Thanks again Dierk.

I received a reply from David Sayed from Microsoft today (you may recall the XM survey he posted in this forum). The email included a pdf listing the following new features:

- Support of new file formats
- Shared catalogs
- Hierarchical keywords
- Enhanced performance
- Windows live virtual earth positioning
- Multi-monitor light table
- Quicktime changes (Windows only)
- Windows Imaging Components (Windows only)
- Catalog medai from storage devices using Autoplay (Windows only)
- Quick Look support (Mac only)
- Uploader utility

Which pretty much matches what Robert and Dierk posted earlier.

SteveM

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: