Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
discovered a quirk
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:40:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  discovered a quirk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: discovered a quirk  (Read 5702 times)
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »

I have previously mentioned about my troubles getting my annotations to stick in this program, I experimented with a different set of photos, I opened them up, they all had the annotations I wanted except for the author creator field, which I wanted to add, I added the author to all photos selected, synced the annotations/exported to my original photos, deleted them from the catalog, then I re imported them to see what happened, all the annotations were there, but some of the photos had a magenta color along with my star ratings, where before I did not have color coding with my star ratings. What is going on? is it a big deal? I don't normally use the color coding, just star ratings. with a previous bunch of photos I had this same thing happen & in addition, it screwed up my location annotations as well.

Sossity
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 05:40:15 AM »

Hi Sossity,

iView color labels are linked to the legacy IPTC Urgency field. Somehow iView is reading this field as urgency level 5 = normal. Maybe a downloading app assigned the label?

-- Robert.

Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:47:43 PM »

Hi Sossity,

iView color labels are linked to the legacy IPTC Urgency field. Somehow iView is reading this field as urgency level 5 = normal. Maybe a downloading app assigned the label?

-- Robert.

I use downloader pro to downloaded my images, I apply all my meta data to them in downloader pro except the ratings, it does not have this,  so after using downloader pro, I import them into Expression media to give them star ratings. In downloader pro, I do add a copyright to all my images, & give them a 5 normal urgency, out of;
                                                                                               0; none
                                                                                               1; high
                                                                                               2; normal + 3
                                                                                               3; normal  +2             
                                                                                               4; normal  +1
                                                                                               5; normal
                                                                                               6; normal -1
                                                                                               7; normal  -2               
                                                                                               8; low

the 5; normal is what I have been using, which one of these should I choose under my circumstances? I type in the year © & the name of whomever took the photo, but I have not formally registered them, what would I choose for ones that have not been registered? what should I choose for registered ones?

& under the other option of; copyrighted, unknown, & public domain,                                                                                                                 
I select copyrighted, since I am adding a copyright; with  year © & photographers name.  I do not actually have theses images registered, but I read that the moment a person creates something; an artwork, photo etc, it is copyrighted even if not formally registered. I asked about this in this forum & was told to add a copyright even if they are not formally registered. Which of those options should I use for ones not registered & registered photos?

Sossity
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:50:27 PM by Sossity Corby » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:57:04 AM »

Sossity,
You might want to skip applying a label on download.
Peter
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:59:55 AM »

Definitely leave out the Urgency setting in Downloader Pro; I've seen teh same as you when I [inadvertently] applied it once - hard to get rid of later on.

Another useful tip: After having imported your files into xMedia [and save teh catalogue afterwards] immediately get rid of the XMP files Downloader Pro has written. If you leave them beside your files weird things can happen when sync'ing back to file.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:48:33 PM »

Sossity,
You might want to skip applying a label on download.
Peter

you mean in down loader pro leave out the urgency label rating? just leave it at 0; none? & leave the copyright status as unknown? what about when & if I start registering my images? should I just skip typing in my copyright items in down loader pro & type them in Expression media for unregistered & registered items?

Sossity
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »

Definitely leave out the Urgency setting in Downloader Pro; I've seen teh same as you when I [inadvertently] applied it once - hard to get rid of later on.

Another useful tip: After having imported your files into xMedia [and save teh catalogue afterwards] immediately get rid of the XMP files Downloader Pro has written. If you leave them beside your files weird things can happen when sync'ing back to file.

So in down loader pro I will leave out the urgency, choose 0; none, & what about the copyright status? I am given these choices; unknown, copyrighted, & public domain. which of these should I choose for registered & unregistered images? or should I just choose unknown for all my images weather they are registered or not? should I try & get rid of the urgency ratings on my previously downloaded photos before backing up/burning to disk? or just leave them alone burn back up & move on?

where & how do I find/get to the XMP files from down loader pro? do I get rid of them before syncing annotations to my originals in Expression media?

Thanks for the tip

Sossity

andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »

Hi Sossity,

I'd recommend choosing anything _but_ unknown for copyright status.  I had an odd metadata problem (http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=2814.0) when I was setting copyright status to unknown with ImageIngester Pro.  Adobe software (Bridge, Photoshop, etc) was not properly displaying any of the metadata for files whos copyright status was set to unknown.  I'd hate for you to have a similar problem.

Thanks,

Andris
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 03:43:08 PM »

Is there anyway I can undo my labels? put the urgencies from 5 to 0, & my unknown copyrights to something else after I used these in downloader pro? if I can't fix this, should I just go ahead & back up these buckets full of these photos to DVD even if the metadata is not quite how I wanted it? with its odd color coding & urgency flaws?

I looked at the photo info in Adobe photoshop Elements 6.0, what I currently have & all the meta data is showing up there so maybe Expression media has a bug? I did notice an urgency label, urgency 5 that I used in downloader pro,  in Adobes advanced info with the option to delete items, should I delete the urgency 5s in all the photos that contain them, as in another post I read that the urgency setting in downloader pro caused problems. I tried deleting the urgency 5 in photoshop, then reopened the photo in Expression media, but the odd color coding was still there. I usually don't use color coding, just the ratings.

Sossity
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 04:19:14 PM by Sossity Corby » Logged
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:59:37 PM »

Select photos, hit <0> [zero key], save, sync metadata.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 02:45:12 PM »

That was the 1st thing I tried to do, with my mouse, clicking none 0, syncing annotations>export to original files, but it does not work, the color coding stays. I noticed that the color that is popping up on some of the photos is the magenta 5 label, & in downloader pro, I gave all my photos a 5 urgency label, normal for the copyright urgency, but the magenta 5 label in Expression media does not show up for all the photos I gave the 5 urgency in downloader pro, just some of them. Now I use the 0 urgency label in downloader pro, so I don't have this problem in expression media, & have noticed no random magenta color coding in my photos now, but I am a little puzzled as what to do with my past photos with the 5 label used in downloader pro & the magenta 5 label randomly/persistently showing up in expression media.Should I just leave them alone, & back up my buckets with these photos to DVD anyway & move on? I think that is what I will have to do, all the other metadata is showing up & sticking so far, I even opened some of these photos in my Adobe photoshop Elements 6.0, & I see all the meta data there in the file info window, so I guess it is nothing serious.

Sossity
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: