The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28019 Posts in 5139 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  How does Catalog program ID image location?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How does Catalog program ID image location?  (Read 1858 times)
Big-T

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:22:28 AM »

I looked for the most appropriate forum for this 'search' question - software or backup seemed to be best choices; sorry if this is not the best area as I did not see a forum for 'search' discusssions/questions.

Question: I am amidst the process of applying most of the same appraoch points as Peter has outlined for us in his booka and subsequent discussions on overall DAM. My question is this - in using iView Media Pro to rename and apply metadata to my image files, in the future, how will iView know which disc/DVD contains a given image file according to the search criteria? Will the search query be run against what is on my hard drive with file directories such as O_DVD001. . . . O_DVD010 ("O" stands for original). . . . or  D_DVD001. . .D_DVD10 ("D" stands for derivative) and my result location(s) will be identified to a given hard drive DVD#/folder and since my archived DVD discs mimic the hard disc directory structure (O_DVD001. . .etc.) that if it says it is on hard disk O_DVD009 directory that I will just get the matching O_DVD_009 DVD disc to find it? That is, if I keep the hard disc directories as O_DVD001. . . . . .and so on and copy them offline to DVD backup with same naming and content, this is how it is done?

The thought of metatagging all the images, copying them over to 2 other hard drives for safety then burning them to DVD and then loading the iView catalog program from DVD discs one at a time so it knows which offline disc has what given file seems duplicative and convuluted. If the hard drive directories are the same as what is archived to disk, do you run the search locally on your drive and then just grab the correlating DVD disc if needed? Clearly I missing something basic here or  . . .?

Thanks for any help and enlightenment! Undecided

-T
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »

T -

I think Peter and others (like me) keep the DVD's as just back ups in case of a need to recover after a catastrophic failure of the local HD's. 

Hopefully, you will never need the DVD's, but if you do you will be able to recreated your entire collection of images.

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: