Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Help! annotations not sticking
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Help! annotations not sticking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help! annotations not sticking  (Read 7626 times)
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:17:48 PM »

At first I thought I was going crazy, but after trying to annotate my name to the author line, & de color code my rated camera originals, removing the images from the catalog, then reimporting them to check for my new annotations; author & removing color codes, I noticed things were not sticking, the author line would not be filled with my name to certain images that I know I synced to original files.  I don't know what to do, I am trying to finalize/get my basic bulk meta data in order to my original images in my buckets so I can get them burned to/backed up to disc, should I just disregard the problems with in Expression media & just burn to disc even if I cant get all my bulk meta data to stick? It has been sending me in an endless loop, I keep reimporting the same bucket of images to check & keep finding things not there that I know I synced/annotated to my originals.

Sossity
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:27:01 AM »

Do you have XMP accompanying your photos? I found them to be a problem for recognising annotations in xMedia.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
ScottBuckel

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

Sossity -

Did you sync the annotations before you deleted the files from the catalog?  The annotations do not automaticaly get placed in the files. 

I tested the sync of annotations in the following manner.  I created a catalog did my keywords and other metadata.  Then I synced the data to the files.  Closed that catalog and then created a completely new catalog and the data stuck to the files.

I hope this helps,

Scott

Scott Buckel
Monrovia, CA
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »

Do you have XMP accompanying your photos? I found them to be a problem for recognising annotations in xMedia.

no I do not think so, these are camera original jpegs from my Sony Cybershot digicam, this is a fairly new problem, was not having this in the past. Are my images corrupted? should I go back to Iview? I still have it on my hard drive along with Expression Media. There are THM files with my mpg movie clips taken with my sony digicam that I imported along with my jpg oroginals when importing a buckets worth of content, could the movie files be causing the problems? they never caused this before. Should I just go ahead & burn/back up my buckets of originals even if my meta data is not all there? I have been told it is better to backup sooner rather than later.

Sossity
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »

Sossity -

Did you sync the annotations before you deleted the files from the catalog?  The annotations do not automaticaly get placed in the files. 

I tested the sync of annotations in the following manner.  I created a catalog did my keywords and other metadata.  Then I synced the data to the files.  Closed that catalog and then created a completely new catalog and the data stuck to the files.

I hope this helps,

Scott

yes I always sync & export annotations to the original images before deleting them from my catalog. This is basically what I did with this bucket, I did/synced my annotations to the original images, deleted the bucket from the catalog. Then I reimported the whole bucket, & it was like there were holes, the annotations didi not stick to all my selected content. I still have Iview on my drive, should I go back to it? I have been told it is better to back up sooner rather than later, so should I go ahead & burn my buckets to disc even if some of my bulk meta data is missing?

Sossity
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »

OK, looks like you are bitten by something I found myself [though on v2's beta]. Beside the XMP problem mentioned - the developers should know of it since I reported it - I also found several fields, particularly but not exclusively custom ones, not reading inserted values. For instance, I use some custom fields needed for the Alamy Wizard; xMedia never reads all of them, only the first.

Trouble is, some of the bugs are obviously bugs but not very consistent, i.e. some fields show special characters [like German umlauts or the copyright symbol] right, others do not. It took me some time to find that xMedia has problems reading metadata from files if corresponding XMPs are present. Very annoying when you use a tool like Breeze DownloaderPro, which writes into XMPs for RAW files.

The problem you experience might just be one of presentation, just like mione with the XMPs: the entered and sync'ed metadata are in the files, it is only that xMedia has trouble reading/showing them. Did you try to look at them with other programs, PhotoInfo on Windows maybe? It's a free add-on made by Microsoft, and although it is a bit slow starting it is well laid out and useful to check on metadata.

Whatever the case, you should definitely back up your photos even if you are not sure the metadata are their. Eventually your pictures are worth much more than the accompanying metadata, they are, after all, what it's all about.

PS: What OS and what QT version are you using?

Dierk

Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »

OK, looks like you are bitten by something I found myself [though on v2's beta]. Beside the XMP problem mentioned - the developers should know of it since I reported it - I also found several fields, particularly but not exclusively custom ones, not reading inserted values. For instance, I use some custom fields needed for the Alamy Wizard; xMedia never reads all of them, only the first.

Trouble is, some of the bugs are obviously bugs but not very consistent, i.e. some fields show special characters [like German umlauts or the copyright symbol] right, others do not. It took me some time to find that xMedia has problems reading metadata from files if corresponding XMPs are present. Very annoying when you use a tool like Breeze DownloaderPro, which writes into XMPs for RAW files.

The problem you experience might just be one of presentation, just like mione with the XMPs: the entered and sync'ed metadata are in the files, it is only that xMedia has trouble reading/showing them. Did you try to look at them with other programs, PhotoInfo on Windows maybe? It's a free add-on made by Microsoft, and although it is a bit slow starting it is well laid out and useful to check on metadata.

Whatever the case, you should definitely back up your photos even if you are not sure the metadata are their. Eventually your pictures are worth much more than the accompanying metadata, they are, after all, what it's all about.

PS: What OS and what QT version are you using?

I am using my mothers computer with most if not all of my digital content on external hard drives, don't have my own computer right now, it is running Windows XP home edition service pack 2, Quicktime; version 7.2 1989-2007. Right now I only have 2 cameras; both Sony Cybershot point & shoot digicams, one is a small subcompact at 7.2 mp the other, a bigger one with a 12x optical zoom at 7.2mp, both only shoot jpegs, of which is what most if not nearly all my photos are taken with right now.

Sossity
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »

I looked at the photo info in Adobe photoshop Elements 6.0, what I currently have & all the meta data is showing up there so maybe Expression media has a bug? I did notice an urgency label, urgency 5 that I used in downloader pro,  in Adobes advanced info with the option to delete items, should I delete the urgency 5s in all the photos that contain them, as in another post I read that the urgency setting in downloader pro caused problems. I tried deletiing the urgency 5 in photoshop, then reopened the photo in Expression media, but the odd color coding was still there. I usually dont use color coding, just the ratings.

Sossity
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »

Have you tried setting the colour label to none in xMedia, by simply hitting <0> [the zero key] for the selected photos? Then save, then sync.

Dierk

Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »

yes I have, that was the 1st thing I tried to do, with my mouse, clicking none 0, syncing annotations>export to original files, but it does not work, the color coding stays. I noticed that the color that is popping up on some of the photos is the magenta 5 label, & in downloader pro, I gave all my photos a 5 urgency label, normal for the copyright urgency, but the magenta 5 label in Expression media does not show up for all the photos I gave the 5 urgency in downloader pro, just some of them. Now I use the 0 urgency label in downloader pro, so I don't have this problem in expression media, & have noticed no random magenta color coding in my photos now, but I am a little puzzled as what to do with my past photos with the 5 label used in downloader pro & the magenta 5 label randomly/persistently showing up in expression media.Should I just leave them alone, & back up my buckets with these photos to DVD anyway & move on? I think that is what I will have to do, all the other metadata is showing up & sticking so far, I even opened some of these photos in my Adobe photoshop Elements 6.0, & I see all the meta data there in the file info window, so I guess it is nothing serious.

Sossity
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 01:03:56 AM »

I had that once, for reasons beyonfd me Urgency was set to 5 in Downloader Pro [was that a bug with an older version?]. Never had trouble to get rid of that in MediaPro [back in the days before Microsoft]. These wrong labels only come back when I have to rely on my DVD back-up, since these were done before changing anything.

No idea what exactly happens with your photos.

Dierk

Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 02:09:36 PM »

should I just go ahead & back up to DVD anyway? & move on? I have been stuck/stumped on this, & has held me up, thanks for the suggeestions so far

Sossity
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 01:35:09 AM »

Your decision. I wouldn't break my work-flow, especially in the realm of backing up, for such a minor annoyance as a wrong lable being sticky. But then I use ratings and labels sparingly and only temporary.

Dierk

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: