The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Acronis TI Help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Acronis TI Help  (Read 12732 times)
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:35:23 AM »

I recently purchased Acronis TI to implement backup and diaster recovery per Dan's thread http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=1404.msg7899#msg7899

After creating a Secure Zone I did a backup of the system state, all went well and got the dialog box telling me the operation was successful, I then shutdown the computer since I had an appointment to keep. Returning home I started my computer and recieved the follwing screen during the boot:

Starting Acronis Loader...

Acronis Loader: No configuration file present.
Press <Enter> to reboot...

Pressing the Enter key only repeated the message.

Next I tried to boot from the TI disk and got as far as "continue to boot Windows" which returned me to the above screen.

Obviously I have missed a critical step in the setup. Ironic, can't boot my computer, the very problem I was trying to be prepared to correct!

Acronis has not yet responded to my support request (36 hrs. now, seems slow to me) and am hopeful someone on the forum has some ideas. Running Windows XP Pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
  Bill

danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:28:55 AM »

Billl,

Did you back up your system state to the secure zone?  I have never done that.

I don't know why it's trying to boot from the secure zone automatically without pressing the F11 key.

Did you put the startup manager in the secure zone?  Did you make the secure zone big enough to handle both the startup manager and the system state backup.  I'm not sure if TI will inform you if it's too small.  I would hope it would.

Have you tried booting to the TI CD and removing the secure zone.  You might give that a try.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:33:54 AM »

Dan,

Following the User Guide instructions I backed up the system state to the secure zone, and yes the secure zone size was quite large. My thought there was to make it much larger than I thought I required. Later, when I aquired a better feel for it my plan was to go in and reduce the size. No, I didn't do anything with the startup manager, per the user guide the first step was to put the secure zone in place.
I've tried to boot from the TI CD but to no avail, most disconcerting as I am "dead in the water" not being able to boot!

Thanks for the quick reply. I not sure where to go from here, hopefully Acronis will get back to me soon.

Bill
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:58:33 AM »

Bill,

Do you have another PC you can use to create a new boot CD.   I don't know why the TI CD won't boot in your PC.  I don't have a TI CD.  I downloaded the software.  I created one Boot CD using the software, and it works on both my Intel and AMD PC's.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »

Dan,

My laptop is up and running (AMD) however I am not versed in creating a boot CD, the reason I purchased the boxed version of TI. I'll push forward and get myself educated as soon as possible (working 12-16 hour days right now, ugh!)  I'll give this a try and report the results. BTW my desktop is Intel but shouldn't make any difference based on your results.
Looking back at the screen I got during the boot I'm wondering if I missed a step during the setup. Should the Acronis loader be starting during a normal boot (sorry I don't know the answer to what is probably a simple question)?
I'm also wondering why you didn't backup your system to a secure zone? The user's guide led me to believe that was the way to go.

Thanks for your help Dan

Bill
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »

Bill,

Just select "Create Bootable Rescue Media" from the TI User interface.  It will launch a wizard that walks you through it.  It' s pretty straight forward.  Just put in a CD and tell it to use the CD for the burn.

The reason it's trying to start the Acronis loader during boot is because you put the TI CD in when booting and your BIOS looks there before looking at your harddrive for a bootable O/S, but for some reason your PC can't boot from the TI CD.

I would be using the Secure Zone to backup my O/S, but I have another internal harddrive that I back it up too.  I then copy that to an external drive that I store offsite.  That way I have an onsite and offsite copy on separate drives in case the primary drive completely fails.

Dan

Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 04:00:50 AM »

Dan,

I'm not able to get to the full user interface, so I can't select "Create Bootable Rescue Media". I have the TI disk in my drive which allows me to get the following selection during boot; Acronis TI Home, Acronis Drive Cleanser and Windows. Selecting Acronis TI Home gives me two options; Backup and Recovery plus a few tools (Create Bootale Rescue Media is not one). Just to be clear, selecting Windows doesn't work as stated previously. Maybe I've missed the obvious, Recovery. I don't believe I completed the initial setup so haven't tried the Recovery option (not having a through understanding of the software I didn't want to blindly try this option and run the risk of compoundiing the problem). I'm wondering if this might be the answer. The only operation completed was a backup of the O/S and user files to a secure area so I'm not sure if the Recovery Manager will work. BTW I tried reseting the boot options in BIOS, didn't work either.

Most sincere thanks for sticking with me on this! Not too happy with Acronis, they have not yet responded to my plea for help.

Bill
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 05:08:12 AM »

Bill,

Did you fill out the form here http://www.acronis.com/company/contacts/request/index.html?t=2

I wouldn't recommend trying the recovery option until you know you have a good backup.

Do you have another desktop (not laptop) PC you can intall TI on and create the bootable rescue disk?  If so, try the TI disk in it just to see if it will boot in another PC.

Dan
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:09:52 AM by danaltick » Logged

Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:51:19 AM »

Dan,

Yes, I registered my copy of TI and filled out the Tech Support form.

I see I can get to the backup section of TI using the disk. Hanging my head in shame I must admit I reformatted my external HD to update to the new backup proceedures as you had laid them out. When I tried to restart my computer, for the first time after backing up the O/S to the secure area, and discovered it wouldn"t boot, the error of my proceedure stuck me like a bolt of lightning! Should have just purchased another external HD, but since I'm planning on a 5 bay eSATA enclosure in the very near future I skimped and am now having sleepless nights. Anyone else out there reading this learn from my error!!!  Unless there is a reason not to try backing up with my computer in its present condition I'll give it a try. I'll wait for your comment before doing anything. Fortunately all images are backed up to DVD's per Peter's DAM proceedures so no problem there.

I do have an old desktop but its Windows 98 so it is not compatible with TI 11

Thanks,
Bill
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:54:27 AM »

Bill,

Go ahead and install TI on your laptop and see if you can create a bootable CD from it; assuming your laptop can burn CD's.  Tell it to burn the full version of the acronis loader.  If you can do that see if it will boot in your PC.

Dan

Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 04:07:11 AM »

Dan,

I'm holding off on your last suggestion for now. Recieved an e-mail from one of the forum members with the idea of going in and replacing the Acronis MBR with the original Windows using this Windows Support link to accomplish the task http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058. Looks like this might be the answer to my troubles. I don't feel I'm competent enough to try something like this yet, so this morning I am dropping my computer off with the guys that built it for me last year. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Bill
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 04:13:42 AM »

Bill,

Sounds good.  Hopefully that will take care of it.

Dan

rsmith1

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »

Bill:

I hope the fixmbr command does the trick, and I believe it will based on my past experience with dorking MBR's for various purposes.

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents about using Acronis TI, which is my current backup program of choice.  One huge difference between True Image and most other disk imaging programs is that TI does not provide a Windows PE boot disc for recovery.  I can't use most other disk imagers since they don't support 64-bit XP (or 64-bit Vista, for that matter), which is why I use TI.  However, the Acronis restore environment is a pre-compiled Linux environment that may or may not have drivers for your hardware, particularly your hard disk.  In my case, the Linux restore environment sees my basic disks, but doesn't understand that they are in mirrored pairs.  I don't know what would happen if I restored to one or both sides of a mirror as if they were independent disks, and I am afraid to try it.

The answer to this, albeit a very geeky one, is to create your own PE boot disk using BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/), which True Image fully supports.  If you go to some extra trouble you can include the drivers you need, or you can just load the driver at boot time like you can when installing Windows in the first place.

Randall Smith
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:14 AM »

Randall and Dan,

Just a quick message to let you know that although it has been a week since dropping my computer off for Randall's "fixmbr" repair, it has yet to be completed. Hopefully the techs will get it done by the weeked. Maybe this expereience is trying to teach me a lesson about getting some lessons!

I'll post the results as soon as they get it done.

Bill
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »

Dan and Randall,

Randall's fixmbr command in the XP Recovery Console finally did the trick but, not until the secure zone backup was removed by installing my boot HD in a host computer. Anyway thanks to the two of you and your advice, I'm up and running with no data loss. Dan, I'm going to purchase another external HD to use for the O/S backups with TI, allowing me to skip the secure zone procedure. Think I'll wait to implement it until things slow down somewhat so I don't pull off a repeat performance. In the meantime, I'm going to read your backup strategy post to be sure I'm on the correct track!

Thanks again,
Bill
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: