Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Difference between iView and Expression
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Difference between iView and Expression
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Difference between iView and Expression  (Read 2609 times)
djbetterly

View Profile Email
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:11:47 AM »

What is the difference between iView and Expression?  Will they eventually eliminate iView all together?  If one was to be starting a new database at this time is iView still the best choice to start with?
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:24:33 AM »

iView was a company being bought by Microsoft for their programming prowess and the main product MediaPro. The letter was then renamed Expression Media, given a very small make-over, then went into a rigorous code rewrite [unfortunately not really visible to users], and is now - with version 2 of the program - on its way to be the first major update to the DAM that once was MediaPro.

iView MediaPro is dead as far as development and distribution is concerned; if you get hold of a [legal] licence and copy, it is still a very good cataloguing application. There will be no updates or bug fixes available for it; you have to get Expression Media.

Anita Oakley has just posted that xMedia v2 is planned for release in late April or early May. If they get the serious bugs fixed - sadly there are quite a few - it will be an upgrade worthwhile with some new features [hierarchical keywords and incorporation of Virtual Earth being the most obvious] and a much better performance.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
marliz

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »

I bought a legit copy of iView while trying Expression Media. Probably it is not common, but iView was constantly crashing. Fortunately I'm on a Mac, and just needed to Force Quit instead of restarting like I always had to do on Windows. I uninstalled and went back to my trial, than got a free upgrade offer to register Expression Media. I thought the free upgrade had expired. Nice surprise!
Peggy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: