Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media slow performance?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media slow performance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expression Media slow performance?  (Read 4500 times)
iau

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:07:24 AM »

Hi,

After I got the DAM Book I played around with, and finally bought, Iview Medi Pro. I guess I didn't follow one of the advices in the book very well, since I found out too late that Iview wasn't quite what I hoped it to be - it felt slow. Then came Expression Media and I sort of put IMP/EM on the shelf, waiting for whatever changes MS would do.  Last week I downloaded and installed the EM2 Beta, as I was anxious to see any changes. I also have a new computer with Vista Core2Duo 2,0 Ghz and 4 GB of RAM, and was hoping for better performance.

To my disappointment it's still so slow. Searches takes ages (well, at least a minute to search through 20 000 photos). Why is searching in ACDSee so much faster (instantly) when they both have indexed all the photos? Even Lightroom which I see a few complain about its sluggishness is ten times faster than EM.

Browsing the photos is also slow (be it NEFs or JPGs). It's a little faster if I let it build previews first, but still too slow for my taste.

Is it just me and my expectations or is IMP/EM slow? When browsing my photos I rather use ACDSee, Lightroom or PhotoMechanic. What should I expect when it comes to searching the catalog - shouldn't it be as fast as other DAM software?

- Inge

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:14:04 AM by iau » Logged
FogartyFOTO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »

iView (Expressions Media) is the slowest application I use. It's very frustrating. It will often take 5 seconds or more to navigate from one photo to the next - this is after all photos have been indexed. Admittedly, my photos live on a network drive over a gigabit Ethernet connection,  but it is barely faster if I move the photos (and redirect the catalog) to my local hard drive. And like you, I've got some pretty schweet hardware - 4GB RAM, Pentium3, mirrored Raptor drives.

It took me the better part of a day to view, rate, and annotate around 2,000 photos from a recent photo outing. It took me almost as long to catalog photos with iView / EM as it did to make the photos.

Who has that kind of time?
FogartyFOTO

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »

An update. In my last post, I was much too charitable in my description of how slow is iView / ME. Just now, trying to expand a directory on my hard drive containing 91 photos, it took iView / ME over 30 seconds to expand directories each time I clicked on the little expansion triangle. As is often the case, I wasn't sure if iView / ME had just hung, or what. Every other application I'm currently using (Photoshop, iTunes, Outlook) are running at normal snappy speed.

Why is iView sooooooooooooooooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »

Fogarty (name?)
If you work on the files locally, is the program responsive?
THere are some known issues with some network configurations.  I'd say that you might want to wait until EM 2 is out of beta.

If it still does not work for you, give idImager a try and see if that is any better.
Peter
iau

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »

I have all my files and the catalog locally. The program seems reponsive, but slow. I haven't tried timing the time it takes to show a picture but sometimes I wonder if I didn't click or scroll.

I like EM's clean GUI and really hope it will improve on the preview-time and searching. I just don't know what to expect and if it is only me that is expecting too much. Don't believe so, since the programs I mentioned above is working alot faster so EM should also be able to do so. Or?

- Inge

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: