Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Folder Update Issues
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:48:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Folder Update Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Folder Update Issues  (Read 3890 times)
Ron Grassl

View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:26:44 PM »

I can't get the catalog folders to update, after I go into the "Open folder in Explorer" view and rename a sub-dir name.
Shouldn't the "Update Folders Now" change the name in the folder listing to whatever name I changed the same path related sub-dir to?
I wanted to just change the name slightly for each folder so they would sequence approximately by time for 3 sub dirs.
The folder view still works but the name will not change, & refuses to match the folder name.

The pull down says "This will update the contents (media files and subfolders) of the selected folder to match the contents of your disk".
It just does nothing.  No message saying it can't or anything at all. It will work only the first time you use it with a fresh set of new sub-dir/files.

It gets the correct name the first time I add a new folder, but after that the names will not update if I want them too.
Even if I double click on the name in the catalog folder name, it acts like I should be able to change the name, but again it just changes back to the original name when I hit return.

The "Edit - folder watching" seems to do nothing also.

I'm using EM SP1 1.0.9038.0
Im cleaning up my Elements 4 catalog with about 20,000 photos.
The new EM catalog is much smaller so far.  I'm just trying to redo it, following the DAM book.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I hope folks out there are not just ignoring this problem.
I have seen other references to this problem and I have not seen any solutions, so far.
I'm not getting a good feeling about this program.  Seems like I should stay with Elements 4 organizer.  It may be clunky but it does work as advertised.

Starting to wish I could get my $200 back for EM, in Torrance, CA
ron grassl
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »

Ron,
You don't say which OS you are on.  In Vista, I think you need to make sure to set the program to run as an administrator.
Peter
Ron Grassl

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »

Hi Peter,
I'm running Windows XP Pro on a new PC I built myself on an Asus MB Dual Core with the latest updates and have given myself admin privileges.

I'm booting XP off of an freshly fully reformatted external 300G SATA drive right now, because I did have install problems with my first install & did not relaize it until I had put some effort into reorganizing the Elements catalog.  That should not matter though.  Everything works normally.  The photo files and catalog are on one of 2 500G HDs.

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   don't want to share this
System Manufacturer   System manufacturer
System Model   P5E-VM HDMI
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2671 Mhz
Processor   x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11 GenuineIntel ~2671 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. 0301, 10/30/2007
SMBIOS Version   2.4
Windows Directory   C:\WINDOWS
System Directory   C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale   United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name   I removed this info
Time Zone   Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory   2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory   1.58 GB
Total Virtual Memory   2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory   1.96 GB
Page File Space   3.85 GB
Page File   C:\pagefile.sys

thanks,
ron grassl 
torrance, CA
Ron Grassl

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »

The "Update Folder Now" started working after I moved my media files to the boot drive c: & recreated the catalog.
The problem is related to working on different SATA drives for some reason.
I have three drives. the boot drive C: is a 300G & the other 2,  D: and E: are 500G drives.  I had my media on Drive D: and run EM from the boot drive as would be normal.
I believe Peter recommends running a dedicated drive for your media, so that is what I had originally set up & had so much grief over.
All of the windows explorer functions work normally between drives, so this is a strange thing to happen.
Maybe there is some XP-Pro file share option that I need to turn on?  I am logged in as an administrator.
ron grassl
Torrance, CA
marliz

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:50:20 PM »

The update folders option is working better for me in Beta 2. I have my media files on a second hard drive.
Peggy
Ron Grassl

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »

That same problem is back, where I can't update the directory name in the EM "Catalog Folders" window (It will change, but changes immediately back to what it was after I edit it).  While I can't change a directory name in my larger catalog but it changes just fine if I create a new catalog, after a drag/drop of that very same directory path, and a few others. Using the "Reset folder path" also won't update the name.   Windows explorer works as it should.
Maybe it is related to some number of directories limit?  My catalog is not that large at 11,300 files with the catalog size at 131 MB with about 70 directories set.
I've tried pretty much everything I've read on this forum.  Which version of quicktime doesn't help.  Safe mode doesn't help.
EM2 does the exact same thing.
Anyone out there have any other ideas to try?  What are the limits on the number of files/directories/catalog size?  It's gotta be much harger than what I've got here.
ron grassl
torrance, ca
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: