Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM support for DNG rendering metadata?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 15, 2020, 12:16:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM support for DNG rendering metadata?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM support for DNG rendering metadata?  (Read 4674 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »

Peter,

I'll try to make this a simple question.  Do you know if we can expect catalog support in the upcoming release of EM for the rendering metadata embedded in the DNG?  The way I envision this would be by hitting Ctrl-B; which would not only update the thumbnails, but also import the new rendering instructions.  This is one of the few weak links I see in the current DAM workflow with iView; that is post-catalog image adjustments do not get backed up.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »

Hi Dan,

We won't see it in EM2 or I'd expect in v3 either. As you know if you update the embedded preview in a DNG xMedia willl update the thumbnail/preview using ctrl/cmd+B. To read the Adobe instruction set and apply adjustments on the fly would require Microsoft to use Adobe Camera Raw somehow.

-- Robert.

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:01:32 PM »

Robert,

I'm talking about just the ability to import and export the instructions to and from the catalog.  You would still use ACR to perform the edits and regenerate the previews.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 08:01:39 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:08:49 PM »

Dan,
Wjile it is not in the EM2 beta (and one might surmise that it won't make the release software), I'm not sure I'd count it out for 3.  I'd certainly hope that *all* XMP data would be harvested and stored. I'll push for it.

Functionality like this offers the possibility of fully restoring even very old backups to a current state, if the images have been edited parametrically.

Peter
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:03:06 AM »

Hi,

The Adobe Camera Raw instructions are stored to a custom XMP namespace which any app should be able to read and write to. When Phase One start writing their instructions as XMP in DNG (I'm an optimist) xMedia could catalog that too. Why not throw Bibble in as well.

Dan I reckon IDimager is the app that could do what you want first. As a one man band Hert is more agile.

-- Robert.

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »

Peter,

Thanks for the info, and support.  Hopefully the EM group will share the same perspective.

Robert,

Definitely.  Hopefully EM will harvest it all.

I really do need to take a look at IDimager when I get the chance.  It is nice to have Hert monitoring and querying our needs.  It can and does make a difference; just look at IIP.

Dan

havezet

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 03:52:06 PM »

Dan,

As Robert pointed out this is possible with IDimager.

IDimager stores XMP properties as individual records in the database which can (optionally) then be browsed through using the Catalog Explorer's metadata branche. I think that this is what you are asking for? By default IDimager will not store *all* metadata as records but  only a configurable list called the Essential model. I'd like to point out that you need to switch a setting in Tools -> Options -> XMP Sync Settings. There either add the Acr data to the Essential model or specify that you'd prefer to store all XMP metadata as records in the database.

Hope that helps once you decide to give IDI a try.

Hert

Author of IDimager
http://www.idimager.com
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »

Hert,

Thanks for the explanation.  I'll make a note of this for when the time comes.

Dan

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: