Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
2 people/computers building one library
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2019, 02:15:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  2 people/computers building one library
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 2 people/computers building one library  (Read 3377 times)
andycollings

View Profile Email
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:02:25 PM »

I'm just about ready to import all my files and build the keywords. Ideally, my assistant will be doing a lot of the work concurrently on my second machine as I work on my machine (on which the final catalog will reside). I was wondering if it was possible to share keywords in this process? I want to make sure the keywords are identical but to also save time by working concurrently.
I believe there is a way for each of us to work on a different catalog and then merge the two catalogs somehow (?), with common categories being merged and separate ones being created on the  machine without them initially?
Has anyone else done things like this and what's worked well?
Andy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:37:11 AM »

Andy,
Accomplishing what you describe is possible, but takes some work and understanding to work out properly.  Some tips:

You can use a controlled vocabulary for a number of fields, including Keywords, so that things are kept standardized.

You can make dummy catalogs that contain all your annotations (duplicate catalog, remove all items).

You can then merge catalogs to bring in new material.

Peter
andycollings

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:57:44 AM »

Regarding my idea to build a catalog simultaneously on two computers (two people working side by side):
Sounds like a reasonable approach would be to not make any catalog sets initially, but instead make sure that I have some specially named keywords in both computers' files, with names like CatExteriors, and then, once all files are on the master computer, create an Exteriors catalog set on the master computer and bring everything with that keyword into that new Exteriors catalog set, and then delete the keyword from the files.
And as far as making sure the keywords are written identically (and semantically synced), I thought I could start a google docs spreadsheet, sorted alphabetically, that each of us adds to or checks for already existing.
Clearly, some supervision and pre-thought/testing is needed but this sounds workable.
Andy
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »

Hi Andy,

We do something similar in our studio...we have a lot of people working in and making changes to our catalogs.  I use a metadata 'carrier image' to bring keywords and catalog sets into new catalogs.  I pick a small image (doesn't matter of what...I use one of a smiley face), add all keywords and catalog sets to it, export the metadata, and then import the image into a new catalog.  All the keywords and catalog sets come along for the ride, and even if you remove the carrier image from your new catalog...the catalog sets and keywords will remain.

This can help you get synced up with your metadata at least initially.

Thanks,

Andris
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: