Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Problems with iView on new computer
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 11:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  Problems with iView on new computer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Problems with iView on new computer  (Read 9781 times)
BillRogers

View Profile Email
« on: March 09, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »

My PC died yesterday, so I splurged and bought a new PC which happens to run Windows Vista. I don't know if these problems are related to Vista, or if they are independent of the platform. I went to the iView website and downloaded iView into the new PC. Here are my questions:

1) When I import folders into iView, the folder names are being truncated (shortened) in the Catalog Folders viewing pane. For instance, the folder named Ed_07_1231 appears as ED_07_~2.  Ed_07_0630 is shown as ED_07~1.
Why is this occurring? Is it because of Vista, or is this a change that Microsoft made to iView? Can it be changed?

2) iView is not displaying thumbnails for PSD and DNG files. All I see is the standard Microsoft icon. I've read that Microsoft has not yet released a WIC Codec that will allow Vista to display PSD and DNG thumbnails. (I have no idea what a "WIC Codec" is.) What's the reason that  I cannot see these thumbnails, and what can I do about it?

3) Why am I still able to download iView? I would have thought that Microsoft would terminate iView downloading after Expression Media was released. Has Microsoft made changes to the current iView download?

4) I'm pretty disgusted with the way Microsoft has mishandled the iView takeover. I'm considering switching to Lightroom for DAM. Any advice one way or the other will be appreciated.

Thanks! -- Bill Rogers, Johnstown, PA
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »

Bill,
I think that most of these problems are related to Quicktime issues.
Peter
BillRogers

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 06:51:48 PM »

Thank you, Peter. I will reload QuickTime and investigate.  -- Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:57:19 PM »

Bill,
I think you may want an earlier version of Quicktime.
Peter
BillRogers

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »

Yes. I uninstalled Quicktime 7.4.1 and installed 7.3.1. This took care of the truncated folder names, and I can now see DNG thumbnails. I still cannot view PSD thumbnails but I'll continue to work on the problem. THANK YOU, PETER. You are a gentleman and a scholar, as my father used to say. 

Bill Rogers
www.br-digiphoto.com
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 03:24:34 AM »

Bill R-

See some earlier threads in here about Quicktime.

I am using Quicktime 7.2, and I just verified that I can see PSD thumbnails and image. I am on a pc (Dell, with Vista).

This whole Quicktime thing is clearly a problem for long term use of iView. I am wondering how, if I get an iPod at some point, things will work out if the developing iPod technology wants newer versions of Quicktime, but iView requires an older version.

The question also arises again: is Expression Media stable enough to use now? If so, then as an actively developing application it should 'play well' with Quicktime.

--Bill S.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 05:15:43 AM »

Bill,
I don't think the issue is that newer versions of Quicktime are going to be inherently incompatible with iView - I think the issue is just one of bugs (I might be wrong here).  There seem to be quite a few serious problems with the most recent Mac OS release, and Apple has been working to correct them. Some serious metadata bugs that Leopard introduced were only fixed within the last few weeks, so this stuff just takes some time to get done.

Apple has a real incentive to get all this sorted out, if it's going to sell new computers.  I recently bought a new iMac to use as a server, and I would only purchase one that could be retrograded to 10.4.  (Note that laptops are likely to be impossible to retrograde below the OS that ships on them - it can result in total failure of the machine to work at all).

In any case, the next version of Expression Media is more decoupled from quicktime.  A quicktime crash is not supposed to crash the program. And Windows users have the option to forgo Quicktime altogether (although that's not totally implemented in the EM 2 beta, just yet).

Peter
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »

Hi Bill/Peter,

Bill, you don't happen to have an nVidia video card by chance...do you?  One of the QuickTime bugs that's been plaguing me for the last several versions is an incompatibility with nVidia drivers.  I have to run QT in 'Safe Mode - GDI Only' just to even get iView to start at all.  I have the same concern as you about new iPods and iTunes versions.  Fortunately, I'm able to watch most online video content in Windows Media format, and my ancient iPod seems perfectly happy with the versions of QT and iTunes I'm running.

Andris
Ketterman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »

I've been having similar problems on iViewMP since I recently upgraded my main work machine to a new Dual Quad Core Xeon Mac Pro.  I have the NVIDIA 8800 graphics card in it as well.

My catalog is currently just over 700mb, so its well within the size limits.  Every time I try to update my catalog it starts to build the thumbnails and then just crashes.  The only thing I get is the crash window as seen below. 

I'm trying to sort through the different threads here to see if you guys have identified a solution as of yet.  I'm seeing some things about safe mode in Quicktime, but I'm gathering that is for PC users only.  Am I correct?  I just downloaded the new Quicktime 7.5 for Mac and I get the same problems.

Has anyone identified a Mac fix yet?
paulbradforth

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 04:48:07 AM »

here seem to be quite a few serious problems with the most recent Mac OS release, and Apple has been working to correct them. Some serious metadata bugs that Leopard introduced were only fixed within the last few weeks, so this stuff just takes some time to get done.
Peter, could what you're referring to here be a possible cause of the problem I'm having in my post at:
http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=3373.msg18648#msg18648
?

Best wishes,

Paul Bradforth
http://www.paulbradforth.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: