Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM 2 Beta Raw problems
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM 2 Beta Raw problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM 2 Beta Raw problems  (Read 3856 times)
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:44:23 PM »

I've been playing with the Beta version of Expression Media 2 on Windows (XP and Vista). So far it's not ready for prime time, IMHO.

The program requires that you have the Window Imaging Component codecs installed for the raw formats you wish to import and view.

These codecs are available for Windows XP and Vista from various manufacturers (e.g. Canon, Nikon). However, the absence of a DNG codec from Adobe is a glaring gap. You can download a free 15-day trial of a DNG codec from Ardfry Imaging but you must eventually pay for this.

So far I've noticed the following:

1. With the Ardfry codec installed, EM 2 will display the full-size DNG preview in about 2 seconds.

2. With the latest Canon codec installed, I can view CR2 and older CRW raw files, but a full-size preview now takes anywhere from 8-20 seconds to generate, whereas this was very rapid in IVMP (<1 sec).  Tongue

3. EM2 fails to rotate the full-size previews of both Adobe DNG and Canon CRW and CR2 files, and instead displays them as horizontals. Tongue

4. The annoyingly jarring movement when using a mouse wheel of folders, keywords, etc., has been fixed (compared to IVMP). Grin

5. There is no indication that this release fixes the 1.8 GB catalog size limit.  Tongue Cry Huh

Ralph Paonessa

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:13:03 PM »

Hi Ralph,

Good news is 1 - 4 have been fixed. Bad news is 5 isn't:

http://k7vi.spaces.live.com

-- Robert.

ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »

Robert,

Why are you saying 1-4 are fixed?? I followed your link to the EM blog, but I didn't see any mention of these problems. (I did see the explanation of why we'll have to wait for the 1.8 GB limit to be lifted Cry )

I followed the link from the blog to the beta download, which is listed as Version 2.0.1331.0, which is what I have installed. Is there a later build where 1-4 are fixed?

Thanks,

Ralph Paonessa

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:00:53 AM »

Hi Ralph,

Sorry for the lack of detail. This is an early beta and there is another (private) beta that has fixed some RAW file and DNG issues. Ironically DNG works if QT is installed. FWIW I don't see any speed improvement with DNG over xMedia 1, but Kevin's blog states you can safely work while importing thanks to multi-threading. Of course there is the promise of more improvement before final release.

-- Robert.

dkperez

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 06:56:24 AM »

As near as I can tell, having QT on XP 64 doesn't make the DNG work........

And having to pay $30 for a codec to support Adobe's format isn't going
to fly.  I presume this will get fixed real soon since they're trying so hard
to get .dng accepted as a standard...

David Perez
iau

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 02:45:42 AM »

Roberte,

Maybe this question doesn't belong in this thread, but you mention there are other "private beta(s)" where problems have been fixed. Where do you sign up for more recent betas? When I'm working with betas I like to use the most recent one since bugs in earler version often cause me to stay away from using it enough to discover other bugs.

If you have a link for these betas or can tell us how to sign up for them, that would be greatly appreciated! Right now I hate it that it takes several seconds for EM to show a previews and it looks like this newer beta doesn't have that bug.

Thanks,
-iau
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »

AFAIK, the 'private betas' are available by invitation, not sign-up.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: