Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Moving files and IV
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 12:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Moving files and IV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Moving files and IV  (Read 3547 times)
andycollings

View Profile Email
« on: March 05, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »

I just started trying out IV. It's pretty amazing. I posted a question in the Validation forum about general usage. I also had a couple other questions:
1) Can the files be moved and the hashes are still valid?
2) Can metadata (embedded stuff like IPTC and ratings) be changed after the hash is stored and yet the file still validates as the same file and the stored hash can still be used?
3) Where are the hashes stored? Is it only in a non-modifiable Library (mac) folder? I would rather it was something I could put into my Documents folder so it gets backed up every couple hours to my iDisk.

Thanks
Andy
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

Andy--

1. The hash is completely tied into the simple file name. Path is irrelevant. The design of IV anticipates, in fact, that there are multiple copies of the same file (same name) with, of course, different paths. You can put the file on a DVD, send it over a network, etc. The hash is the hash, as long as the name doesn't change. (Naturally, changing the contents invalidates the hash.)

2. As explained under #1, no. To separate innocuous changes from major ones is way beyond the capabilities of IV. Too many formats out there.

3. Hashes are in a SQLite database. Unfortunately, you can't change the location. No IV documentation on this, but it's next to the IIP database, the location of which is in the IIP manual. (On the Mac, its in user's Library/Application Support. A folder or two down from there.)

--Marc

andycollings

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »

Hi Marc

Thanks for the information. So, if I understand you correctly, changing metadata (such as a keyword or rating) after generating the hash, could cause a hash check later to say the file is "invalid" because it is different, though it's actually just different because of that metadata change and still perfectly valid?
Andy
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:20:25 AM »

Andy--

Right. Although, I wouldn't say "could cause." The chances of the hash being the same after even a 1-byte change are much lower than a snowball's chances in hell. ;-)

--Marc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: