The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 01:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Using SpanBurner to divide DVD_nnn_YYYYMMDD buckets--as a standard method?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using SpanBurner to divide DVD_nnn_YYYYMMDD buckets--as a standard method?  (Read 2599 times)
andycollings

View Profile Email
« on: March 04, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »

I wonder what other users think about having buckets named RAW_nnn_YYYYMMDD (last drop date) for, say a week's worth of captures, on my hard drive that are indexed w iView. And then when I burn my DVD archives of those buckets, I use SpanBurner w parent folder identification to span that RAW folder into as many dvds as required. The writing on the clear inner area of the dvd would indicate for example "1 of 4".
Since most of my jobs are going to be more than 4.3 GB, I'd rather not spend that time trying to figure out how many files I need to drop into each DVD folder before creating another etc.

Andy
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »

Funny, if I understand your question, I had a related idea about this time yesterday.  Here's the gist of it:

http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=3041.0

Basically, I was looking for a way to have the software distribute the files into the buckets/folders rather than doing it manually.  I think you want a method that assigns the files to folders before the burn, so that you know where they reside on the DVD and can reproduce that DVD easily.   But it seems that this would be more involved than I had thought.

Frank
andycollings

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »

Frank

Yes, we are both dealing with the same issue. I think the simplest is just to use spanburner. If all my hard drives fail: the primary hard drive and the 2 backup hard drives (!), I can use the dvd's since they will retain the parent folder structure naming conventions.
I'm not sure why this technique isn't documented in the book or elsewhere on the forums? Makes me think there's something inherently wrong w it but I can't see what it is.

Andy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:34:05 PM »

Andy,
Spanburner was developed only recently.  THere was a PC program that did similar functions, but it was PC only ArchiveCreator).  Ideally, this should be very easy stuff for DAM software.

Peter
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »

Can SpanBurner do it in such a way that it can be made to leave behind a folder/bucket structure?   I thought a key concept from the DAM book is to have the buckets on a harddrive mirror the DVD (or other) backup media.   

Is filling the buckets manually still the best way to do it?

Frank
andycollings

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:46:46 PM »

Frank

Yes, that's what makes spanburner, or the built in Burning capabilities of Photo Mechanic so great for this. Spanburner will show the entire path. PM will show you up to two parent levels. Also, neither of them need a special application to find any files. Toast 8 will actually break a file into two parts if it needs to (even if it's just a 10mb CR2 file) and then require it's software to rebuild that particular file. No thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: