The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:58:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  Aperture Library on the GO
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Aperture Library on the GO  (Read 3513 times)
LHA PHOTO

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »

I have been testing both Iview and Aperture for a while and looking at the structure. I think I have decided on Aperture. It seems to work for me. One thing I wanted to know from other Aperture users is how do you work on two different machines. In IVIEW you just copy the catalog and work off line. When your done you just copy back the catalog and all the sorting you performed syncs back up. I travel with my mac book pro and traveling often allows me the best time to keep adding metadata to my library. My only thought at this time is to use and external hard drive but the performance goes down the drain. Any suggestions.

Lee
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:36:11 PM »

I don't think many people here use Aperture, Lee, it's more of a Lightroom crowd.

John
Ian Wood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 06:50:33 AM »

There's no syncing function, but you can get by with exporting/importing Projects from one machine to another and deleting the old copies of the Projects. Just make sure you are using referenced Masters or the Project files sizes will be absurd.

Ian Wood
smackie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:13:50 PM »

There's no syncing function, but you can get by with exporting/importing Projects from one machine to another and deleting the old copies of the Projects. Just make sure you are using referenced Masters or the Project files sizes will be absurd

This approach is a lot more feasible with Aperture 2.0 - they added the ability to force the reconnection of referenced masters. When you move projects between machines like this, you'll need to reconnect the masters to their new location on disk. The gotcha with the 1.5.X release of Aperture was that it wouldn't always reconnect - it often found "differences" between the masters when none existed.

In 2.0, you can hold down the option key and force the reconnection to the files that you know are the same.

Scott...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: