Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Wierd sort order to Catalog Folders
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 06:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Wierd sort order to Catalog Folders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wierd sort order to Catalog Folders  (Read 4022 times)
Richard Davis

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »

This morning, for no particular reason, I corrupted my main catalog then runied the backup.  No big deal, I'll just recreate it.  So I created a new catalog, navigated to the parent folder, made sure that include subfolders was selected and hit the import button.  About two hours later I had 10548 DNGs cataloged fine but the sort order of the Catalog Folders is screwy.  My buckets are named per Peter's advice RAW_001_xxxxxx through RAW_30_xxxxxx but the sort order in Expression SP1 is:

RAW_015_xxxxxx
RAW_024_xxxxxx
RAW_009_xxxxxx
RAW_016_xxxxxx
RAW_005_xxxxxx

Has anyone else seen something like this.  I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Dell E1705.  The catalog I'm now wishing I hadn't blown away was logically sorted but perhaps this was becuase I added the buckets as I created them? Huh

I guess Microsoft inveted plug-and-play becuase Apple had already perfected plug-and-work!

The sort order's important for me becuase it helps me quickly pull up images from a certain date range.

I'll play around some more but I'd like to know if others have experienced wierd Catalog Folder sort order - and particualry if anyone knows how to re-sort the Catalog Folder hierarchy.

Richard Davis
www.rkndproductions.com

pburwell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »

Richard,

From what I recall, I had a somewhat similar experience and it related to upgrading my Quicktime to the latest version 7.4.

I downgraded Quicktime to 7.3 and the program began behaving normally again.

What version of Quicktime is installed on your machine?

Richard Davis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion but after several hours of uninstalling and reinstalling I'm still sseeing the same effect.  I went as far as to completely unistall not only QuickTime but also iTunes to get QT7.4 off my system, I also unistalled Expression.  I downloaded QT7.3.1 then reinstalled Expression and created a new catalog but still with the same weird sort order in the Catalog Folders.  I'll run another test overnight as I think the weird sort order is the same each time which might help nail down where this order is coming from.

The iView guys were a lot better at updating when they had full control.  Now they're part of Microsoft the updates are coming a lot slower. 

I might try an iView 3.1.3 catalog as well to see if that behaves the same as Expression.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Richard.
www.rkndproductions.com

Richard Davis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »

Well, after  more experiments, it's weird but not random.  Every time I have generated a new catalog with Expression SP1 and Quicktime 7.3.1 or 7.4, I get a non-sequential sort of the Catalog Folders but the non-sequential sort is always in the same non-sequential order.  I've enabled every sort critieria I could find in Windows Explorer but cannot obtain that same sort order in Windows Explorer.

I also went and created a catalog in iView Media Pro 3.1.3 and QT 7.3.1.  In this case, the non-sequential sort order of the Catalog Folders was as per Expression as determined by the image count of each folder but the folder names were not my user-friendly folder names but some apparent system alternative - RA0188~1, RA0F57~1, RAW_01~1, RAW_01~2, etc.  The 8-character length of these names trigger some hazy memory of an 8-character file name limitation from DOS which suggests that the upgrade of QuickTime has somehow re-pointed the Catalog Folders to pull and sort based on the DOS name for the folder rather than my expanded folder name.

I'm not an uber-tecchie so I may be way off on this, of course.

I haven't found this weird sort order of the folders to affect any of the functionality of Expression so I'll have to try to get used to it until either a further upgrade of QuickTime or Expression corrects this effect.

Richard Davis
www.rkndproductions.com

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:40:27 AM »

Richard,
THis is strange. Have you tried to contact the Expression team?

I wonder if you have some kind of larger system problem here.  Do you know why the original catalogs were corrupted?

This does point to the wisdom of spinning off DVD backups of catalogs every now and then (monthly?  semi-annually?).

Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: