Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media major bugs?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:46:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media major bugs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expression Media major bugs?  (Read 5148 times)
moggy

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »

Hi Folks,
I'm evaluating Expression Media for an important client that has a large photo library (60,000 + photos). It seems to fit the bill as it runs on both Mac and Windows, can use network drives accessed by multiple users and has a fairly simple interface. However, using the trial version I just encountered a few worrying major bugs that make me wonder if I've gone down the wrong path, has anyone seen these:

1) I made a catalog of 60k photos, nearly 1Gb size, works fine on a Macbook Pro running Leapoard. When I move it to the clients Mac (G5 tower) and try to save, or save as a new version, it won't, gives a vague "encountered and error while saving, file may be corrupt" message. Seems consistent, tried with other versions of the same library brought from other machine with same results.

2) Moved the above library to a Dell PC laptop, works fine, but the little red Question marks that should show up on my catalog folders when they're offline, just don't.

3) Also "folder watching" doesn't seem to work how I'd expect. I put a new sub folder into the library on the hard drive, with folder watching on every minute, never shows up in Expression media, maybe it needs to be imported before it's presence shows up? Do you have to import first and then it only shows up if it goes offline?

Are these bugs just in the trial version? Am I going to pay near $1000 for the windows and Mac versions (with Office) and find it's just not ready for prime time and I've bought a heap of trouble?
I really like the program, seems to fit the bill best for what they need, I'd really like to make it work, but it has to be reliable.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,

Moggy.

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »

How important is multi user access?

John
moggy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:15:04 PM »

Pretty important in some form, they work from several locations and it would be nice to be able to access a central photo database over the internet, or failing that, from within one house on multiple computers. They use both Mac and PC's. I read that PC-over-network has performance issues, don't know if those have been solved.

I'm also encountering basic search weirdisms, maybe I don't know how it works, but when I specifically search for FILE NAMES that contain a certain word, the results come up with tons files that don't contain that term but are found because they are within a FOLDER whose name contains that word, not what I asked for, this is also consistant.

Again, I really like this software for it's simple interface, ease of use etc. important to my clients. But if it's too buggy it's a big problem. Do Microsoft listen and issue fixes to this product regularly?

Thanks again for the help,

Paul

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »

There's going to be a new version before long - look out for a public beta.

You might also look into Edit > Find rather than the Quick Find (top right) which I feel is almost useless because it looks at pretty well every field. The proper Find lets you target fields much more intelligently.

The multiuser issue is something you really should consider in detail. EM is not a multiuser app, though some teams do use it. I usually point people towards Extensis Portfolio (cross platform) for multiuser environments.

John

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 08:58:35 PM »

Paul,
John's spot on, as usual.  Some of what you outline sound like bugs (ones I don't know about) and some are unclear how the software works.

1. i you try and save after the warning?  This warning is too sensitive, but generally does not keep you from resaving (unlike the -1310 error).

2. Hmm, have not heard of that. What happens when you click on a folder that is not really present?  Did you try to "Find Missing Items" in the Find menu?

3. The watched folders ned to be sen by EM first. To be seen they need to have a catalogable media item included. Once set up, they should show in green if watched. Then new items moved to the folder should be automatically cataloged.

You can get it cheaper ($199/copy if you buy from us, while supplied last), but it's not a multi-user program.  You can make it work, but it's not that pretty.  Portfolio is multi-user, but has its own problems, not the least of which is a much higher price tag.
Peter
RipIt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 02:06:32 AM »

John and Peter

When you refer to Portfolio being a multi user program are you referring specifically to the Portfolio Server app?
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 04:29:14 AM »

I think it's that one, but I'm unsure so it may be a good idea to ask the question at Portfoliofaq or the official Extensis forum.

John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: