Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lightroom workflow with PTLens
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 08:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Lightroom workflow with PTLens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom workflow with PTLens  (Read 6145 times)
ChrisD

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »

I have read the book and have been reading this forum as well as others for a while trying to come up with a system that works for me.  I am not a professional photographer or anything even close. Currently, my only camera is an A series Powershot; although, someday I hope to buy a DSLR.  Up until this point I have been using Lightroom exclusively (no downloaders, or Photoshop).  My basic workflow was to:

1)   Import the photos from my camera using the Lightroom and have Lightroom make a backup of the photos on import.
2)   Flag obviously bad photos as rejects, then delete rejects.
3)   Keyword the pictures
4)   Use the develop tab to crop and do adjustments to white balance (I’m still not good enough to use the reset of the setting very effectively)
5)   Rate the photos.

This system had been working fairly well for me, eventually I would like to do a little more with develop, but I could at least find my photos.

I am now wanting to add a second program to my workflow—PTLens.  For those of you that don’t know, PTLens is an inexpensive program that corrects lens distortion.  Lens distortion is a problem for me as I like taking of pictures of buildings and the strait lines on the building make the distortion fairly obvious.  I have played around with PTLens and am happy with the results, but I’m not sure the best way to integrate it into my workflow. 

It seems the easiest way to do this is to use a separate downloader program to download the images and then run them through PTLens and then import them into the Lightroom.  However, there are a couple things I don’t like about this solution: First, I am happy with the way Lightroom does imports and would prefer not to add another program to the workflow.  Second, PTLens is supposedly only accurate at distances greater than 10 feet, and while the vast majority of my images are shot at distances greater than 10 feet there is the occasional shot closer than 10 feet that shouldn’t be processed by PTLens.

The second way I came up with is to—import from the camera using Lighroom, then export all the images with targets at least 10 feet away, run the exported images through PTLens and then re-import the images into Lightroom.  This seems like it might be workable but it also seems like somewhat of a workaround and not a very elegant way of doing things.  The other thing I am conserned about is that the PTLens manual indicated that it is better to put PTLens early in the workflow because image editors don’t always save all the metadata (is this something I need to worry about in Lightroom?).  Also this adds the question-- do I keep the original  image in Lightroom, or do I delete it once I import the lens corrected image (there would always be the backup I did on import)?

Any suggestions on how I should integrate PTLens into my workflow would be greatly appreciated, or any comments on my workflow in general.  If it is not obvious from my camera type, I am currently using exclusively jpegs (camera doesn’t support RAW) although once I buy a DSLR I will switch to shooting RAW.   

Thanks, Chris
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:04:20 PM »

Chris,
Maybe you only need to run images through PT Lens when they are on the way out to print (or other high-value use).

I would expect to see improvements in the way Lightroom handles all of this (integration, as well as distortion correction) as the program evolves.
Peter
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »

Quite an old threa , now, what was your eventual workflow? I don't really want to crreate .tiffs this early on in the workflow, prefering, .dngs. There is plug-in but it still isn't "RAW"
Chris Bishop
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »

I just recently started using PTlens and I like it a lot, but I'm also frustrated that I can't make raw lens adjustments in LR. I've been using the PTlens-edit app which allows you to right-click on an image in LR and then select 'edit with PTlens.' Ending up with a dupe TIF file is annoying, as was pointed out in the OP.

- Jim

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: