Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
LR not reading jpg XMP files
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 10:31:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  LR not reading jpg XMP files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LR not reading jpg XMP files  (Read 4457 times)
Charlie Dunton

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:42:11 AM »

I shoot raw 99.99% of the time so I'm not sure what is going on between ImageIngester Pro (Ver 2.3.01 mac) and Lightroom (ver 1.3.1) with some jpg files I shot in 2004.

I've been using IIP to rename old files from an archive disk, apply a basic copyright metadata template, and run them into Lightroom as I incorporate them into my DAM system. Up until this point everything has been raw files. I just tried to read in a folder of jpgs that were created with a Canon 10D. IIP created the XMP files during the import process, but Lightroom ignored them. Only the original metadata from the jpg was read by LR during import.

I'm guessing that LR is ignoring the sidecar files since it sees that it is dealing with a jpg and not a raw file.

I was able to get the contact info into Lightroom by creating a metadata preset within LR and applying that to all the jpgs after import. I then wrote the metadata back to the file and noticed it updated the jpg instead of the XMP file.

Is there a way to automate this with IIP for JPG files that I'm missing, or do I have to apply the LR metadata template after import when dealing with JPG files?

Thanks,

Charlie

Louie Sherwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »

Charlie,

I believe that Adobe applications do not read .xmp sidecar files for jpg and probably other formats. This is explained in the latest II user guide.

If you have iView or EM they will read the .xmp files during import and put the metadata into a catalog. I have used this by making a temporary catalog, importing the folder with the jpg/xmp images and then using sync annotations to write back to the jpg file.

IIP 2.3.02 now has an option to export annotations to JPEG on import. However, if you are using iView in your workflow to add additional annotations there is something that gets wacked in theĀ  image file that causes iView to write a duplicate XMP data setĀ  to the image file. Please read my post IPTC metadata particularly "Rating" confused after IIP if you want to know more about what I found out.

-louie

MacOS 10.5 Intel, Photoshop CS5, EM2.0.2 , IIP 3.2, LR3
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:32:46 AM »

Right you are, Louie... I've just updated the User's Manual to reflect this new feature.

--Marc

Charlie Dunton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I had a long road trip today and had some time to think about this. It was obvious LR was not using the xmp files. But I still believe the first "rule" of LR should be something like, "Above all else, do no harm". If an associated xmp file exists on import at least read the thing. Maybe someone can explain why that would be a bad thing. At this point I don't see why it would.

As far as iView goes, I'm still using it, but not on initial import. I'm using IIP to put the files in LR where I do all my keywording, rating, and raw adjustments, as well as some quick and dirty printing and web generation. Basically, LR has taken the place of Bridge CS2 for me. Once that's all done I export to DNG, import to iView, create catalogs and transfer to buckets for archiving.

At some point, all of my work will be jpgs as I get back to my early Nikon 990 days. So I guess the least extra work then will be to stop using a metadata template with IIP and once everything is imported into LR do a quick 'select all' and apply the basic copyright template I created in LR. It just bugs me that LR feels the need to write that to the image file instead of just holding it until I export the DNG file. Again, I'm all ears if someone can explain why what LR is doing is a good thing.

BTW, Mark, thanks for the IIP documentation. I downloaded it a while back and started reading it. Then I got diverted and never got back to it. I need to do that. And I will. I promise.

Thanks for everyones help,

Charlie
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: