Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Need help attaching Foretrex 101 to USB
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2021, 03:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  Need help attaching Foretrex 101 to USB
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need help attaching Foretrex 101 to USB  (Read 11124 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: January 15, 2008, 06:06:56 AM »

I'm experimenting with ImageIngester Pro's GPS merge, but I'm running into a roadblock.

I'm able to connect the unit to a Windows XP machine, since it has a old-style Serial port.  I'm not havig success connecting he unit to either my Vista or Mac machines using a serial to USB adapter.  On the Vista machine, I was able to get the firmware updater to see the unit (it told me correctly that the firmware was up-to-date), but IIP can't see it, nor can I get anything else to see it.

I don't know if there were disks that came with the unit that I'm missing, and the Garmin website and documentation leave a lot to be desired.

Has anyone out there been able to get the unit working on a USB port?  Does anyone know if any particular software package came with the unit that needs to be installed?

Thanks,
Peter
yDuR

rudy_engels@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »

Peter,

I've looked it up and couldn't find any specific information about it except that some people have success (with other programs) with this adapter:

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

Unfortunately, I can't confirm this...

Regards,
Rudy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »

Update -
I was able to get a serial adapter at Bestbuy for about $30, and was eventually able to get Vista to see and download the track file.

In order to do this, I needed to download a program from the Garmin site to get it to acces the tracklog.  I can't remember the name, and don't hav the vista machine in front of me right now.

It looks as though the Fortrex 101 will not connect to the Mac, even with the serial adapter.  I installed the serial adapter software, and the Mac can see the serail adapter,but it can't seem to see through to the other side where the Garmin is.

I got a response from Garmin recently, where they indicated that they don't think it will connect to the Mac with any adapter. 

I have not tried the Keyspan.

Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: