Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
adding my copyright
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 11:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  adding my copyright
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: adding my copyright  (Read 3066 times)
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2008, 01:10:23 AM »

I often take photos of other artists artwork for reference, when I batch rename these types of photos, should I put my name in front of them as I do all my other types of photos or leave my name off them? for metadata, do I enter & sync my copyright to these like all my other photos?

Also I sometimes take a photo of a photo hanging on a wall for reference, should I leave out my name in the file name & leave out my copyright for the metadata? I do not intend to infringe but as an artist I often need references, am asking to be sure I am being fair to others in handling photos like these.

Sossity
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 05:44:37 AM »

Sossity-

I do similar accumulating of all sorts of odds and ends for reference (I also gather objects for composition references for still life paintings, for example).

My preference is to keep a separate catalog of everything that is 'not generated by me'. I keep a separate bucket for all of this stuff, and I *cleverly* name my files 'var_', to denote these are files from various (ie, not-me) sources. This seems to work quite well for me. So I have:

wcs_080113_001  for my own stuff (which, by the way, includes family photo albums that I've scanned in- even though I am not the author of these photos, I view this as 'my stuff' organizationally)

var_080113_001 for not-me stuff, in a separate catalog

Oh- I also have several keywords that are prepended, such as:
   artist: monet,  artist: vangogh,
   artmov: impressionism,  artmov: art deco,  artmov: comic strip (or whatever)

As far as author and copyright, I include these in all me-generated stuff (photos, sketches, paintings), and I do not include this information in the 'various' material.

Lastly, I use the 'source' field to put some URL reference to reference images I've pulled from the web. I don't get too specific here, not worrying about the precise URL right down to the specific image. For example, if I have downloaded a Monet image from www.artrenewal.com/monet/etc, I would enter in the source field:

artrenewal.com

That is enough of a breadcrumb trail to find my way back if necessary.

Hope this is of help.
Bill

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: