Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
When do you need a second assistant?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 08:44:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  When do you need a second assistant?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: When do you need a second assistant?  (Read 4711 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:46:21 PM »

Here's a pretty general question since I'm inexperienced at this.  When do you need a second assistant outside of the digital assistant.  I've heard that second assistants are often used, but don't really know the criteria for adding one to the shoot.  I can think of two reasons right off hand: a really big shoot involving allot of equipment, or a shoot done in multiple locations where the setups need to be in place at all locations for when a CEO might be on the move.  Any other reasons?  Thanks.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:51:37 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:35:30 PM »

Dan,
That's about it for me.
Sometimes, I need additional assistants because the client expects it, given the budget.
Most often I use ore than one because I am taking a lot of stuff on location, and need the additional pair of hands to wrangle everything.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:05:16 AM »

Peter,

Ok, thanks.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 10:17:36 AM »

On the assistant related note....I'm digital tech-ing on more and more shoots for the photographer I work for, and I've basically had to figure out best practices for tethered shooting on my own.  It's not all that difficult if you know computers, but finding all the bits and pieces like the rubber Canon firewire cable protector and learning to clamp cables to our digital cart has taken me time.  Is there a good resource that either of you know of for digital techs and tethered shooting configurations.  I'm thinking about starting a blog about this, but don't want to reinvent the wheel.  Maybe a tethered shooting category here on the DAM forum would be appropriate?

These guys: www.deathtofilm.com run a digital capture operation in LA and have had some good posts on tethering hardware in the past...but it's petered off a bit lately.

Andris
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »

Andris,
I'd be happy to start a tethered shooting subject here, if you want to oversee it. 
Just say the word.
Peter
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »

I guess overseeing it just involves answering as many posts as possible?  I'd be willing to do that, sure.  With the caveat that I'm still relatively new to running a digital cart on set...I may not have all the answers.

Andris
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 07:44:54 PM »

I guess overseeing it just involves answering as many posts as possible?  I'd be willing to do that, sure.  With the caveat that I'm still relatively new to running a digital cart on set...I may not have all the answers.

Andris

I think a tethered shooting discussion would be great. 
And by the way, Andris, don't feel like you need to have all the answers to lead a discussion.  The wonderful thing about a forum like this is the way information on best practices can emerge from the collective wisdom of all the participants.
(Thanks for the reference to the Death to Film blog.)

RIck

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 05:00:48 AM »

Okay, I created the board.
When you have a minute, how about posting some links in the tethered area to get the discussion started.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: