Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Script for "Update Folder" option to auto add to a generic catalog set
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2020, 05:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Script for "Update Folder" option to auto add to a generic catalog set
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Script for "Update Folder" option to auto add to a generic catalog set  (Read 3179 times)
sabfoto
Sheldon Sabbatini

72119253 sabbatini_s@hotmail.com Steezn sabfoto@yahoo.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »

I searched the forums but wasn't able to find anything along these lines.  I'm wondering if its possible to have the "Update Folder" option turned on, making the program auto search for new/updated files, and have those not currently in the catalog get put into an "uncategorized" set?

I just feel like its so clunky to use the program and do it all manually and I always worry that either files aren't getting in, or they're getting in and not getting categorized, which defeats the purpose of using the software.

Any ideas?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:23:48 PM »

Sheldon,
I don't know how to do this as you ask, but I can think of a few workarounds

You could put all imges in a catalog set called "sorted" or something.  When new images are added, they would not be in that set.  To find these new photos:

Click on the set
Select all
Click the Home button to show all files
Edit>Invert Selection

You will now have all new files selected.

Alternately, I have been using ImageIngesterPro to add catalog sets on Ingestion, so all images come in with some catalog set assigned.

Peter
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »

Sheldon,

This may need some testing to prove 'reliable' in your workflow.  I've done a bit in iView but nothing with xMedia.

There's a data item within iView called Archived Date.  When you import an image into iView this field gets set with the date and time this happened, down to the second.  If you add 100 images they all get the same time, even if it takes a minute for them all to be imported and built.  If you adjust the image outside of iView and update within then the date/time doesn't change - I added some keywords in Bridge and re-sync'd and didn't see a change.

You can see this date in iView if you configure your views accordingly (Control/Command J).  You can also read the date it within scripts, although here it's called CatalogDate. 

You can use this date to find images, although the search field is just called Archived.  You can search for images on, before or after a specified date.  Note that you can't include the time in the search, so if you are updating a folder every hour your search can't differentiate between updates.  The search sometimes didn't work for me, but I don't think that's specific to this data item, just that the search doesn't always work.

In the List view you can add the Archived date as a column and sort images by clicking on the column header.

As far as I'm aware you can't get the Update Folder function to do this.  It may be possible to develop a script that prompts for a date and then selects images added to the catalog and adds them to a keyword or catalog set.  However I'm no scripter, so you'll need someone else to help on that!

There's also a data item called Annotated Date, which should record when something has been annotated.  This could be used to find un-annotated items.  However - and reported to iView team - this only works some of the time.  If you add a keyword by typing below an image it works, but if you drag an image to a keyword it doesn't.  I don't know if this has been fully fixed in xMedia, if it has it may be of more use to you.  You can see this date in any view if correctly configured.

Remember if you use a 'not annotated' data item then you need to change the value at some point when you have annotated the image!  I'd use a custom field and not a catalog set for this and have 'Not Annotated', 'In Progress' and 'Annotated' as values from a vocabulary to constrain you.

I don't use the Update Folder function, rather preferring to import images manually.  I then use the Find / Show Last Import menu option.  I'm not sure how this works though if you update folders automatically.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: