Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Creating a new catalog from an exisiting one
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:36:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Creating a new catalog from an exisiting one
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Creating a new catalog from an exisiting one  (Read 2554 times)
chompers66

View Profile Email
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »

I realize that I'm probably trying to fit too many issues into one post, but if anyone can help with any of the issues I'm facing, I'd be greatful!

I'm currently using Expression with Service Pack 1, upgraded from iView Media Pro, and I'm trying to create a new catalog with images, catalog sets, and keywords from a previous catalog. Basically, the original catalog got too large (1.8GB) and now I need to break it up into smaller catalogs. Adding to the difficulty is that I want to change the location of the referenced files (originally keyworded on my hard drive, but now moved to my NAS).

I'm not exactly sure how to go about this, but I see a couple of different ways to do it, each with their own challenges:

a) copy the existing large catalog and delete the Catalog Folders that I don't want included in this new catalog. This gives me the benefit of having all my keywords and catalog sets already set up in the new catalog. Then I can redirect Expressions on where to find the files.

Unfortunately when I try to import new files into the copied catalog, I get the message "Cannot import unicode files", even though I'm just bringing in Canon RAW files. Also, deleting the Catalog Folders from the left hand column doesn't seem to reduce the catalog size.

b) Create a brand new catalog and import the images directly from the NAS. The benefit is that there isn't any deleting involved and I don't have to redirect Expressions on where to look for my files. The huge drawback is that I have to import/create all of my keywords and catalog sets again, along with re-tagging and re-categorizing all my images.

And help/feedback is appreciated!

Josh Garretson
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 04:28:18 PM »

Josh,
When you delete and save, the catalog does not get any smaller?  THat sounds like a problem catalog.  Are you getting the -1310 error? 
Here are a few strategies:

1. Work on a duplicate catalog.

2. You could try to copy the catalog to a new catalog (open, select all items, drag to empty catalog).  This may take a while for the images to get ready to drag (like 15 minutes of holding down the mouse).

3. You could try reducing the size of the current catalog a bit at a time.  Select images, and rebuild with small, low quality thumbnails.  Make sure not to make full-screen previews.  Do it in small chunks and save between batches.

Try these and report back.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: