Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expression Media upgrade, IView wait and see, Lightroom hope for better versions
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expression Media upgrade, IView wait and see, Lightroom hope for better versions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expression Media upgrade, IView wait and see, Lightroom hope for better versions  (Read 3996 times)
Todd@PhotoElasticStudios

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2008, 12:57:44 AM »

I was asleep at the upgrade wheel for IView and now I'm not sure what to do as far as the Expression Media upgrade question goes. I did install a trial version on my G5 and thought it was the same program with different icons, but I never got an official upgrade code or whatever one was supposed to get.

I really like IView but most of my clients are using Lightroom and  I felt I should learn it and I let IView wither so to speak. But things changed when  I have finally networked my iMac running Parallels, PC with XP Pro, Dell Laptop running XP Pro and my Power Mac G5 running Leopard with two 5 bay SATA drive boxes one mirroring the other as back up to the whole enchilada. I Just bought a D300 with the new NEF's that you can't see in IView maybe you can in Expression Media ?

I am using a NAS to pass files and photographs around to different computers. I can leave a catalog from IView on the NAS and all the computers can access it. Not true with the LR catalog it cannot be used on a network, I remember reading that but now I know. I need a digital asset management program not just a photo browser and the more I use LR the less I like it, especially now that Bridge in CS3 is very good.

So my question for the DAM folks is, do I upgrade, stay with IView and take a wait and see approach or try something completely different ? I should mention that I use Peter's DAM system from his book.  Does anyone know how many computers the upgrade will work on? I could not tell how much the upgrade is, I read that it was $99 bucks but for how many computers? It can get really confusing with all the choices.
__Thanks
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 04:17:54 AM »

Todd,
It's pretty surprising that iView is still probably the best photo manager out there, even 2 years after the last upgrade.  While Lightroom offers a lot of new stuff for people who have never used iView, it leaves many iView users feling as though important functionality is simply missing.

I have not found a compelling reason to consider switching.  This will change at some point in the future.

If iView runs fine, I'd stick with it.  Expression is licensed in the same way (I think) - you can install it on multiple computers, but it is licensed for a particular number of simultaneous users.

Peter
Todd@PhotoElasticStudios

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:31:16 PM »

I concur IView (Expression Media) is really the only way to go,  if one needs a true DAM application.
THANKS
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: