Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
D3/D300 RAW Files and Xmedia On Mac
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  D3/D300 RAW Files and Xmedia On Mac
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: D3/D300 RAW Files and Xmedia On Mac  (Read 2900 times)
Kent Larson

View Profile Email
« on: January 02, 2008, 08:45:04 AM »

Here is what I heard from Xmedia support concerning D3/D300 raw files on the Mac.

============
Unfortunately, on the Mac platform we are dependant on the CoreGraphics component (also known as Quartz) of the Mac OS. Apple develops the decoding technology for any new RAW formats and updates CoreGraphics regularly. We get the benefit of that work "automagically", assuming the user has configured xMedia to use Apple's conversion engine (setting the "Preferred Engine" to "Apple"). Unfortunately Apple has yet to update CoreGraphics to support the D300 RAW files.
============

Kent
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:54:17 AM »

I thought you could choose Manufacturer for rendering raw files, and then an update to the latest version of iView NX would install the necessary support for the D3/300. Not sure though.

John
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »

Hi,

On Mac 10.5.1 using manufacturer and embedded thumbnails I can view Nikon D3 and D300 NEFs. Using embedded thumbnails must tell iView to look for the JPEG. If Nikon still put the embedded JPEG the same place with newer NEFs it works. Caveat: some users can't view the new losslessly compressed D3/D300 NEFs.

iView/xMedia on Mac uses the Nikon SDK to render NEFs, not any installed Nikon software. Installing Nikon software doesn't update the SDK in iView. In the past I've hacked the necessary components from Nikon View and put them into iView, with mixed results.

We'll have to wait for Microsoft to (hopefully) issue a Hotfix. Support for the Nikon D3/D300 and Leopard can't wait for xMedia v2.

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: